Yeah the animations are a tricky one...

We could (potentially) ask for them to give us a form of behavior option during character creation which defines the set of animations you have per standard like smiling vs scowling, being squeamish vs taking pleasure in someone else’s discomfort/pain. It would help but there will always be moments where you wouldn’t want that particular animation...

So do you tie it to dialogue/action choice?

1. [plea] insert dialogue choice
2. [Threaten] insert dialogue choice
3. [Laugh maniacally] etc etc...

It still doesn’t help when something happens and your character reacts if their own accord and thus we get instances of characters acting squeemish or obnoxiously folding their arms and grinning when you’re like “that doesn’t fit who I am!!”.

As for the story, well the more options you want the more generic custom characters will come across. I know people are very divisive on voice vs unvoiced, but that in itself is already a marked difference between the origin characters, who will be fully voiced and us. It’s jarring. The issue is, with so many race and class options, can you please enough with voice options?

Obviously you need as minimum 1 Male and 1 Female full voice option, then with what? Modifications to pitch? Not sure that works. Ahhh waiting for the day they give us a toolkit to record the voice lines ourself for our character lol 😆 (I have all the equipment!!)

But where was I, ah story... it is important that custom characters have a sense of purpose other than tadpole and as others have mentioned that could be tied to Race/Class or both. So if I play a Ranger, I received a summons to a meeting regarding plot McMuffin XYZ, I start with that and then I’m abducted (either en route or at said meeting). You wouldn’t even need to animate it (given character creation starts when it does), it could be partially narrated as you wake up, partially you spout it yourself in dialogue options near beginning or at camp when people are talking. Details can be in a letter or quest item description.

That gives me initial purpose and now I have problem ABC. I need rid of this tadpole so I can get back to (or ignore) my initial quest. Obviously I then get caught up in the actual main plot, but as long as I don’t miss certain milestones, that backstory option is still there and how I complete it depends on who I’ve become over the course of my journey. Maybe that sounds minor and unnecessary, but it gives me a link to the game world, on top of where I’m from etc...