Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3
Originally Posted by Gaidax
Solasta? You mean that Solasta with whole 4 linear maps ingame, NWN2 level graphics and linear story with forgettable cast and no companions at all?

Such a hate for Solasta. Mechanically, Solasta is far superior than current BG3.

That's not hate, that's simply the reality. I bought Solasta, I played Solasta and it is what it is - right now it is literally 4 areas - 1 "city" and 3 linear, tunnel quest areas with super linear quests and NWN2 level graphics - a game from 2006, just a bit shinier spells.

It is exactly that, so I am not even sure what exactly you want me to glorify there. Story? Nothing to write home about - absolutely linear one path tunnel campaign. Characters and companions? You literally don't have any of note and there are simply no companions by definition.

Its only value is for RAW purists where they try to jump out of their skin to make it as close as they can to 5e core rules and in my personal opinion - the combat suffers for it. IMO, Solasta shows very well exactly why Larian did the changes they did with all these shitty reaction popups, smite popups and what not with your lowbie characters stiff as fuck with single action per turn and little more than that, except for odd minor utility spell or power.

Despite all the above, I believe that Solasta will be ok, given its 35 bucks price and first shot for that tiny studio. It will be a fair time burner for people like me who like turn based tactical combat games, but it's obvious it won't be even 1/3 of what BG3 will be and I'm being generous there.

Last edited by Gaidax; 10/11/20 07:18 PM.