Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
Originally Posted by Bukke
Just yet another reason why I'm not too pleased with full voice overs slowly becoming the industry standard. Or at least it seems to be what Larian aims for in all of their games.
Once a string of dialogue has been recorded in the studio it's much less likely to be edited or outright rewritten.

I think until AI voice acting becomes standard it's going to be the same story of "one devs grows big, develops game with big budget and mass market appeal in mind, old fans grumble, an indie dev develops an old-style game with lots of unvoiced dialogue, the game is acclaimed for its writing, the indie dev grows big...". Rinse and repeat.

Sadly, yes. This does seem to be the case.
Don't get me wrong, I think the current voice acting for BG3 is very good, but it still pains me to know what the unintended side effects of a game having voice acting.
Good writing/story and full voice overs are by absolutely no means mutually exclusive, but when a game is made with full voice over in mind the writing and dialogue will ALWAYS be affected one way or another.