Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
Jan is objectively the best character out there! But what's great is that he's not JUST a joke character; his companion quest is quite serious, and at times his stories end up having a non-comedic point to them - like one conversation with Mazzy is actually heartwarming. He's funny - but it's also shown that there's depth to his character.

Agreed completely. It's science. Can't be argued with.

You are absolutely right, his quest gives him depth. Finally the joker's mask slips and you see the pain behind the constant stream of humor. Where Keldorn was a serious as a heart attack that could be only be turned into an object of fun by Jan, Jan is the person who even cracks a joke while dying that become a serious as Keldorn when the love of his life under threat.

I wouldn't even say that's a mask; more that humour is a big part of his personality and his default "aspect", but it's not all he is. Jan seriously threatening someone was impactful for sure.

Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
I wonder if he is still alive? I mean he was a god of death for a brief period of time, perhaps that did something to lengthen his lifespan.

I mean if he didn't get himself killed? Sure. He's a gnome. According to the FR wikia - "Average lifespan: Usually up to 300 years, but 500 not unheard of". Jan appeared maybe middle aged? I don't think more than 200 years, anyway.

If not Jan, I hope we see some Jansen trying to start a turnip business in BG. A niece, perhaps? Then she could tell stories about Jan, just like Jan referred to his uncles. :P