Originally Posted by Madscientist
I made a ranger with the find familiar spell at lv1 and the animal companion at lv3.
I found out that you can only have 1 summon, so I called the raven familiar (can blind enemies and fly away without AoO, but no damage) but when I summoned an animal companion the familiar disappeared.

Animal companions are a nice meat shield, they can do some damage, they can flank enemies to get advantage and you get a new one if it dies.

I hope animal companions get stronger as their master levels up, else a lv3 animal would be useless later in the game.
My familiar did not level up, which is fine because they are not intended to be good in combat.

Mhm, that is an interesting point, has anyone tried using something like the Ogre's horn while having a familiar out at the same time? Does it override the familiar? And will we be able to have traditional summons ala Monster Summoning? Or will it be like Divinity's summons where you could have one summon per character right?

It was a cheesy tactic in BG1 and 2 sure, summoning a pack of wild dogs or hobgoblins to tarpit a tough enemy but effective.

Divinity's summons were a little different in that they acted like secondary PC's with a handful of abilities and could be quite powerful. But you also had multiple summoning items/trinkets.

Oh! The Blighted Villages mage's imp should really be a trinket and not a scroll. It disappeared after I talked with it. frown

Last edited by Dee_MogII; 13/11/20 02:10 PM.