Originally Posted by Sadurian
Used as a range target to test the AP capability of newer AT rounds.

At the time it was used operationally, the 1940 France campaign, the Germans had to employ their medium artillery and the 88mm AA guns in direct-fire role to tackle it. The 37mm used both as German AT guns and tank guns in the Panzer III (the former Czech 35t and 38t tanks also had 37mm guns, but these were not the same as the native German ones) could not penetrate. This was not encouraging to the Germans facing it at Arras.

Looking at the thickness of the armour (max 60mm - the contemporary German Panzer IIIE had a maximum of 15mm, and the Panzer III series only reached a maximum 50mm even in the later marks), you can see why it was so resistant to AT fire.

That came at a cost, of course. The tank design triangle; Firepower-Protection-Mobility, definitely favoured the Protection corner at the expense of both Firepower (0.5" HMG) and Mobility (max 8mph, 6.4hp/ton).

Really interesting stuff. I've always had an interest in WW2 history, especially DDay and onwards. I have an ancestor that was killed during operation Goodwood, probably by one of those 88's. Tanks are impressive but sooooooo vunerable. Guess thats why the British army is planning to get rid of them. Or so I heard.