The original BAR is a bit of a weirdy in that it doesn't really fit the role of rifle or LMG very well. Though it looked cool in The Omega Man, along with the Swedish (Karl Gustav? I forget now) SMG. The Model D pretty much turned it into an LMG, and the MAG doesn't really need any introduction!

My opinion of the FG42 is admittedly exactly that: or perhaps "conjecture" is a better word. So I could be completely wrong about that; but having experienced the potentially lighter recoil of an SLR (though the 7.62 NATO is slightly higher velocity than the 8mm, it's also a fair bit lighter IIRC) I wouldn't want to try it on full auto even with a damper. I presume the mechanism was similar to the Bren, where the entire upper receiver could recoil about 2-3mm against a very stiff buffer spring. Nothing to do with the functioning of the gun, just to make it less argh to fire.

The one thing the .303 couldn't really do was push-through feeding, so belt-fed weapons had to use a rather more complex system where they'd carefully pluck the cartridge out of the belt, manoeuvre it into place and chamber it. The rather clockwork mechanism of the Vickers is quite a work of art. But magazine feeding wasn't a problem, the Bren being renowned for its solid reliability. I'm still a bit perplexed as to how the stripper clips worked with the Lee Enfield as common sense says that they "shouldn't" with their strange under-over-under-over-under arrangement. But they do.

Oh yeah, and the Vickers endurance test thing. I think it was a million rounds between 10 guns, the most prolific managing about 120,000 shots that evening. One of the biggest problems was obtaining enough coolant, with soldiers reportedly being ordered to "make water". The reports of the boiling water from the Vickers being used to make tea are very sadly nonsense as it would've contained rust, asbestos, cordite and, well, piss.

Edit: with regard to it being legal, I guess that's probably due to it being rather impractical. I mean unless motorbike-and-sidecar drive-bys start to become a thing. I used to work with someone who was an amateur sidecar racer. It's much more insane than I'd expected.

And firing rates: the Vickers was reduced from about 600 rpm in WW1 to about 450-500 in WW2. It seems the boosted firing rate was seen as unnecessarily profligate. Presumably by those who disapproved of the "let's fire a million rounds in one evening lol" publicity stunt.

Last edited by vometia; 15/11/20 04:35 PM.

J'aime le fromage.