I haven't really developed any of my characters for the EA yet, but I'm planning on recreating my gnome rogue I played in an Avernus game, once gnomes are playable. I never got to finish that campaign and I'm still really fond of her.

Her name is Tippy. She's a forest gnome little shit of an urchin with only rats as her only friends. She's got no manners, has no respect for authority, and loves making fun of any uppity noble types. Despite this, she's not really one to steal, and generally keeps her hands to herself. As a mercenary, she's had some experience fighting cultists and running into weird arcane stuff, and has picked up some magic tricks of her own. She mainly picked up adventuring to earn enough money to one day leave Baldur's Gate, and maybe find her family, if they're still out in the world.
It's doubtful she'd know what to do once she's kidnapped by some weird, tentacle-faced monsters and infected with some slimy tadpole though... but at least she'd be out of Baldur's Gate!