Originally Posted by Sozz
I was talking about the point you yourself made about how with every edition the near human races seem to become less and less distinct, both narratively and machanically.

I don't begrudge people wanting to play more diffuse races, my criticism there was more about how the world can lose something when the remote is made commonplace, and how it can be detrimental to the scope of your stories.

I think you are confusing me with Uncle Lester. I actually think 5e did a decent job differentiating the near-humans mechanically and lore-wise. Only pure human really hurts for unique lore and mechanics, and that has more to do with Wizards of the Coast thinking too much like a standard fantasy setting where every race is humans+ and not considering the strengths the human species has in the real world.

Making humans unique in a fantasy setting is its own subject though so I won't dwell on that.

I just want the option to have a full party of weird races because I like non-human races in games in general and am fond of the "traveling circus" style party where everyone is giving you weird looks as you walk through town.