Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Yes, buuuut Solasta. But Solasta is doing it right wink

Sorry but combat is better now that the cantrips are back to core DnD. Sometimes people know what they want. Granted Solasta is just a dungeon crawl with fugly graphics but people are having lots of fun with combat.

Sorry but I've gotta' ask: Where is this "ugly graphics" thing coming from about Solasta? I have yet to play the game myself, but what I have seen of its graphics looks really good. Maybe not as good as BG3 or other AAA-budget games to be sure, but very good. Here's their latest dev update, which includes some in-game screenshots, which imo look gorgeous.

https://forums.solasta-game.com/forum/dev-update-25-new-content-sneak-peek

I think it's mostly character models, although they seem to be improving on that front (Winter Patch announcement). The faces look... kind of weird and the proportions are wonky. The hair looks like it's sculpted from polymer clay. The grid system also means the world is very visibly... well, grid-based and square-ish.

However, the environment shots look gorgeous indeed. I personally won't be put off by the graphics too much, I consider them pretty good for an indie, especially if they can improve the character models.

Btw, thanks for providing the link, I somehow missed that.

Yeah the grid-thing look is something that bothers me too (in all grid-based games). Character models are apparently improving, so we'll see.

Personally, and this is in response to @KillerRabbit as well, in the context of a small indie developer with a very tight budget, I'd rather they spend their money on pretty much anything else compared with graphics and character model fidelity. Don't get me wrong. When a game has awesome graphics, I welcome that and love it. There's a comment I made in another thread about realism in my RPGs. I love my RPGs to have as much realism as is possible, and the close-ups of character models showing very high levels of realism and detail is fantastic. But if I'm faced with (budget) trade-offs, I'm happy to sacrifice graphics over such things as story, character development, branching dialogue, interesting quests, etc.