Originally Posted by VeronicaTash
I want to verify: was Larian pigeonholed into using 5e by Wizards of the Coast or was it a conscious choice?

5e is popular with new players mainly because it is very simplistic and easy for new players to use. 3.5e was much more detailed with a lot more options, but the complex stats and rolls could become burdensome for some players. As everything is calculated by the program and storytelling is what is limited by the medium, not what can be done: 3.5e would be a much better option for a videogame regardless of whether players prefer 5e or not on the tabletop. So this leads to the question of whether Larian was instructed to use 5e by Wizards to promote their current product or not.

To be fair, 5e is the current edition. I can't imagine why any new D&D based games would use a different edition. It's current, it's the easiest to pick up and play with if you've never played TT RPG's before (or D&D) and it's the easiest to plug into a video game because of the relative simplicity of it. My husband and I said when it came out that it almost felt like it was made for conversion into a PC game.