Originally Posted by VeronicaTash
Myself, to butt in here, I find 5e to be dumbed down and overly simplistic - 3.5e has the details I'm looking for. People who care about rules but with disdain for 5e - probably also agree that the careful attention to detail are also not too important.

The gameplay preview on Solasta is doesn't seem too impressive to me - because I'm looking at a game where there are long, narrow pathways that somehow popped up in a graveyard? I'm thinking they just mastered the rules and didn't care about providing an actual game from seeing that. That seems more restrictive than BG3s web of paths.

Right, a lot of discussion here is personal opinion. I like 3.5 but its a bit bloated rule-wise. You like it. I like 5E better.

Solasta is definitely more restrictive in how you approach a situation. It is more linear. But Solasta is much more faithful to the 5E ruleset and the combat is much more balanced. If you want a game that emulates 5E more, Solasta is better. And we are comparing two radically different sized studios. Larian has hundreds of employees. Solasta I think is being developed by 17. The level of polish shows. If Solasta had hundreds and millions in the bank? Who knows what they could have made?