Originally Posted by fallenj
Concentration is broken, when you cast a spell that requires concentration and lose it the next round from random crap more times than you don't it becomes a waste of time and space. Especially when some spells don't require a DC check and you just lose.

It's particularly bad in BG3 because there's so much incidental damage. Five seconds into every fight, the whole world is on fire. In tabletop, you mostly just take damage if something actually swings at you or directs a spell at you. In this game, you're often taking ticks of environmental damage literally every turn of every fight unless you spend fully half of your action economy getting out of ground effects. This is one of the million ways in which BG3 feels just like Divinity and not at all like BG/D&D. Just like in Divinity, combat is often an annoying lightshow of random shit happening all over the place, except to make it even worse, you mostly just have one and a half action per turn and can't afford to spend them on countering the ridiculous battlefield clutter.

In Divinity, at least you had two or three actions per turn, or even more with certain builds, and it made more sense to devote some of your actions to putting out fires or teleporting away or whatever. Not that BG3 should break the 5e action economy, but Larian should have designed the fights and gameplay environment to accomodate it. Instead they literally just made Divinity with D&D mathematics under the hood, which is such a massive disappointment. I'm starting to think tiefling is the best race for everything just because of the fire resistance...

There are so many fights in this game that pretty much go like this:

Enemy shoots a fire arrow/grenade/whatever at you, covering the entire party.

You move out of the way so you aren't literally standing inside of a fire.

Enemy shoots another fire arrow at your new location, adding more fire.

You move away again. Half the battlefield is now a smoky blaze.

Whaddayaknow, the enemy shoots ANOTHER fire arrow at you and...

It's just such awful, brainless, uncreative design. It isn't fun, it isn't good gameplay, it isn't a meaningful challenge, it's just a game that trolls the player and is annoying on purpose. It's like Larian's idea of encounter design is to just make combat as irritating as possible, just as their idea of storytelling is to make everything as silly and camp as possible. It's what made the Divinity series unenjoyable for me, and while I had hoped that they would steer away from that when they moved to a different franchise, they proved to me that they don't know any other way to do it. What I had thought was a quirk of the Divinity series was in fact just the only way Larian knows how to design games. There's none of the suspense of BG combat, none of the believable environments, just cartoon gameplay and troll design.

Last edited by Clawfoot; 04/01/21 12:51 PM.