Unbalanced classes should never be substituted for difficulty levels
In your opinion

Originally Posted by zyr1987
You fail to provide any explanation
In your opinion

HAHAHA, NO.
In your opinion

Okay, so you got nothing, and you're just going to beat me over the head with the same phrase rather than honestly discuss. Good to know.

As a side note, I mainly said "in your opinion" because part of the reason you're on thin ice with the mods here (one of them said you had recieved your last warning in another thread, so tread carefully) is because you repeatedly treat your own opinion as fact. There's a reason I either cite a source for any claims I make or state that it's my opinion, much of the time. Unless I state that it's a fact or offer evidence, it's best assumed that it is MY OPINION, so just saying "in your opinion" repeatedly adds absolutely nothing but heat to the conversation. Also, How else was I supposed to respond to a contextless, meaningless quote as "balance is cancer" without any explanation?

And why should one person who happens to pick the right class breeze through the game without breaking a sweat, just by virtue of picking the right class?
Why should he not? What injustice did he commit by enjoying the game according to his own taste?

Or maybe w4e should cut the ad hominems and you actually prove your argument?
I didn't employ a single one wink
Also what argument? You are jsut asserting your opinions as facts, that doesn't rise to the level of an argument, I'm just stating you're wrong.

How about you answer how it's wrong to pick a "weak" class in a game with multiclassing? You literally have to go out of your way to end up weak. Like making a barbarian worth 18 INT or something hilarious like that.
I have never asserted my opinions as fact, unlike you, but nice try. Anyway, I'm going to quote a long Reddit post here, bolding the most relevant parts that goes into detail about why this line of argument is unpopular (seriously, I tried googling to find opinions that balance is bad and couldn't find ONE).

Originally Posted by "Reddit poster"
Let me tell you about single player balance.

Balance starts at the difficulty settings. Risk of Rain has 3 settings, lets call them easy, normal and hard. The settings are used by the player to balance the game. Difficulty settings are how devs adapt the game to player experience/skill. It's impossible to know how many times the player has played your game, so you give him a way to tell you so you can change the experience to his taste. This is similar to game+. A bad game lacks such adaptability and is a poorer experience than it could be when you replay it. RoR provides not only difficulty settings but also unlockable artifacts that alter the gameplay adding replayability by changing the gameplay, that and the hard difficulty.

Scaling, as you progress through a playthrough your character grows stronger or more adaptable(in most games). The game has to balance this by giving your character greater challenges. A bad game will either make you grind or will not compensate enough for your characters strength/player skill, making playing the game lack tension. This is very subjective as peoples skill vary and opinions on what grinding is clash. So I'll just say a balance between keeping the thrill of gameplay , not crushing the player with enemies with crazy stats and advancing the story has to be kept.

The last aspect of balance is choices. When you give the player options in gameplay as well as story it is always good to make them think. Because easy choices are like easy gameplay - boring. When you present the player with a new gun, a new ability or a new love interest you have to make it different but not outright better than what he has, unless you what him to switch to it and forget whatever he had before. When you give the player several classes to choose from you have to make sure his experience as far as difficulty goes is the same. If you don't you end up with "easy mode classes". This all serves to immerse the player and make him not look at numbers, but to look at what he/his character prefers.

In the end balance is about the player having a good experience with the game, one were the gameplay is proportionally hard to the fighting the character does. If you intend to make the player feel powerful, like valve did at the end of HL2 you can forget about balance for those levels(or think about it in a different frame). Masochistic games are also a genre that throws balance out the window.

To answer OPs question, balance is tool for crafting the players experience, ergo it is important for making a game good.

I would love an explanation about how he is wrong

What decline?
Now it's my turn to laugh lol.

Okay, prove to all of us that gaming is in decline, and separately prove that it's for the reasons you describe.

Lover of non-haughty elves and non-smutty lesbian romance
"1404. I will not spoil the adventure's mandatory ambush by using the cheesy tactic of a "scout"." - From "Things Mr. Welch is no longer allowed to do in a (tabletop) RPG"