Originally Posted by 7TeenWriters
Originally Posted by Hilarian
I hate hate hate the whole set sexuality tbh. In almost EVERY single game with romance and set sexuality, it is always at the gay options expense.

100%, the thing is though I still kinda think this is at the gay options expense in some ways. You're right that having set sexuality would probably lead to bad options for people who aren't heterosexual men, but for me the ideal would still be having set sexuality where the developers actually work with people of different orientations to create believable characters rather than just doing their best on their own and making tokens to fill a box. I don't think it'd even have to be forced if this were like the older baldur's gate games just because there were SO MANY characters it actually felt off how many of the romance options were women targeted at men. This game is different though and yeah, doesn't seem like they're planning on a big enough cast for checking every identity box to not feel out of place.

Originally Posted by Hilarian
If anything, I do want a bro route where you could initate it or have it be friendship since the way the camp work make it sound romantic out of a sudden sometimes. That's the way it is with DoS on the boat scene, you could just have a normal conversation or initiate the romance.

But yeah, wishful thinking aside, this is ultimately what I want. Also even without having gendered preferences (which I agree would likely lead to bad unless they really went the extra mile) I think it would feel better if characters had some kind of preferences. I know that technically exists with the approval system, but as it stands it really doesn't feel like they're actually interested in your character but instead are just scripted to want you whoever you are once you hit a certain point. The biggest thing I have an issue with here is how intimacy between characters (or just being nice to a character) inevitably leads to getting propositioned, which to me feels like we're seeing a lot of the grosser elements of dating sims that kinda encourage things like the "nice guy" reality in the real world.
As a fan of game with romance, it is not that I am opposed to it, I just haven't seen anyone does it well. I would say Fire Emblem romance system is more playersexual than anything, everyone is into the player but then they throw in 1 bi option and say that it's representation. It's not really an effort in their part and their inclusion is mainly just to appease the fans. That's not realism or genuine. When you look at the bisexual options in these games, they tend to be the sexually depraved or sex obsessed and they would do it with anyone like Zevran or Niles. Let's imagine if this game has sexuality, who would jump into your mind as the bisexual option? Astarion, from what people already said about him. One of the Beamdog's characters is bisexual because they figure he would just be up for anything. Another thing I already said is that these options tend to heavily favor straight players, which like I said, Fire Emblem, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Kingmaker. As the majority, it makes economical sense, and I understand that, but that just sucks being treated as second class citizen, and I would rather not to deal with that crap and just have everyone available. I'm not faulting the developers for that, but the more set sexuality is implemented, the more I feel how difference I am being treated. When people say that the realism aspect may reduce enjoyment, does it ruin the entire game for them like for other people? Especially if the romance is initiated by the player and you don't know if you could romance them unless you specifically flirting with that person? If you look at Dragon Age Inquisition, they removed Cullen's bisexual option from time constraint. It's a very low priority for developers, which as I said, understandable. They also removed Solas' bisexual option because of the depraved bisexual, thus removing an option for other players just because of stereotype. This is the part where I said you pigeonhole yourself into a corner while trying to avoid stereotype while writing set sexuality. You have to think about if this is politically correct or if this or that would offend people. Damn if you do and damn if you don't. When Mass Effect Andromeda first released, gay guys got 2 NPCs without any unique faces and sideline from the story then the one gay option is about having a surrogate baby in just a few weeks. That's just a very unnatural progression. They give the gay people the least contents as well as making it revolved around their sexuality. Let's not forget about the transexual character they wrote who tell us that they're transgender and tell us their birthname. This is not what people do in real life, as that part of a transgender person's life is over, and they wouldn't want to be reminded of it. Overall, gay options have always been an afterthought, and their characterization tends to be about gay gay gay. Characters could just be gay without reasons, but subconsciously, developers may not know how to write for a gay character and tend to rely on what they think a gay character could be.

I just wanna explain further my position and how I feel whenever I encounter these things in the game. It has never done well in a single game I have played. As you also said, Baldur's gate has mostly all the females fanning over the main protagonist. It's a wish fulfillment, and it's no more unrealistic than some male characters who could be interested to be honest. I would be opened to set sexuality if they have done well, but the cast tends to be pretty small in modern games due to the cost of voice acting and bigger budget, it is tough to do in a realistic fashion.

Last edited by Hilarian; 08/01/21 12:17 AM.