This sums it up well, the main character you make feels less "special" than the origin characters. They all have their own epic backstory (which feels ridiculous for level 1 characters but that is a different issue altogether) while the main character feels like just some guy/girl. It almost seems as if you are meant to play as an origin character, rather than go for the custom character (Divinity Original Sin 2 had this as well, really)

I prefer that blank slate and starting from humble beginnings, but the origin characters not following that formula does feel kind of weird, too. And also why origin characters are kind of a poor idea for a game like this in my opinion. I guess the argument is that it adds replay value, but that would have been there anyway if the focus was instead on deeper backgrounds/storypaths for the main character. (less focus on making handful of characters origin characters would also mean we could have had more companions, as the companions would require less individual work).

But, it is as it is, and I doubt it will change (if nothing else I sort of expect Larian to release even more origin characters at one point or another)