Originally Posted by Ayvah
What do you mean you're with Larian? Have you found any materials from Larian confirming that Minthara has an "evil" alignment? I'm not aware of any.

To be honest I'm just too lazy to look it up but in an interview before the game was released Sven said that alignment wasn't in the game but would probably be put in because people liked it. (and he's right) Also, clerics of evil gods get the tag [evil cleric] -- notice that Shadowheart is the one party member that has an easy time reading the necromancy of thay because she has that tag.

As others have pointed out before, BG3 has lots of characters playing against type. We meet a "good" githyanki and even a friendly mindflayer.

Alignment doesn't say you can play against type -- it just sets the standard for the type to be played against. I hope we don't get other good mind flayers -- ruins the eldritch terror of the flayers. Who is the good Gith?

Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
People just like alignment. Witness the thousands of alignment grid memes.
I disagree. People like it for the same reason people like horoscopes. It's just about putting people into prescriptive boxes. We might as well be trying to work out whether Minthara is a Sagittarius. Whether or not it's helpful is a separate matter.

That's a very Aries point to make wink Yeah, people like horoscopes, good analogy. So what's wrong with that? I mean as long as you aren't using horoscopes to map out the career for a rock band it's all good fun.

I think alignment opens up interesting role playing possibilities. Of course anyone can bring up bad or cliched examples but that doesn't mean all such examples are bad or cliched.

Ever watch Star Trek the Next Generation? There is a core principle of the federation -- the prime directive.

As the right of each sentient species to live in accordance with its normal cultural evolution is considered sacred, no Starfleet personnel may interfere with the normal and healthy development of alien life and culture. Such interference includes introducing superior knowledge, strength, or technology to a world whose society is incapable of handling such advantages wisely. Starfleet personnel may not violate this Prime Directive, even to save their lives and/or their ship, unless they are acting to right an earlier violation or an accidental contamination of said culture. This directive takes precedence over any and all other considerations, and carries with it the highest moral obligation.

And then the series would put the protagonists in series of moral quandaries where they would need to choose between this value and some competing value. Does the prime directive apply to a slave owning society? What about a society of body snatchers -- parasites that have brainwashed a population into believing that being invaded by a mind control tadpole is the greatest possible honor? Can the crew live up the precepts of their 'alignment' ?

In BG2 Keldorn has a conflict between the two axes of alignment -- the law says his wife should hang, the good says he should forgive her. There is no Lawful and Good resolution, thus the strain in the character and CHARNAME's need to resolve the issue for him.

Your example looks like lots of fun (really!) but I've not played mass effect so I hesitate to comment on an NPC I don't understand but your larger point is correct. Alignment -- like astrological signs -- break down. The question is whether all games need to be like Mass Effect. (as you are telling me it is) Or all fantasy settings need to be like Westeros.

(There is no correct answer to these questions.)

Which is why they provide the fuel for so many discussions. Which is why they are fun. People need to decide on the basis of the lore, on the personal values they project upon them, upon the context in which the questions show up.

Or, to put it another way, Alignment is fun smile

Last edited by KillerRabbit; 22/01/21 03:55 AM.