Originally Posted by Sozz
I love it when the Illiad comes up in a Minthara thread smile @KillerRabbit <3
For the Greeks, Achilles choosing to fight that battle is a tragedy. Greek heroes are ones who are forced to destroy themselves in order to preserve their own honor, this need to preserve honor extends even to the Gods who are willing to allow terrible things happen for the same reasons, Hector killed (unwittingly) Patroclus so he is technically as culpable as Achilles. Another facet of the Illiad that you don't typically get is just how long the Greeks have been waging war, After the focus of Achilles' slighted honor turns from Agamemnon to the Trojans, he is no longer behaving like an honorable Greek, killing Trojans who surrendered, unthinkable at the start of the war, now happens, as the Greeks find themselves resenting having to fight for so long to appease the pride of one of their Kings. And don't forget what becomes of Agamemnon either.

Exactly right. I think the film did a good job with by showing Achilles' dragging Hector's corpse for so long. Such is the tragedy of the war mad man -- he cannot find satisfaction even in victory. There is a very Greek warning about the dangers of excess in that part of the tale -- Achilles has become drunk on war and it's a horrible sight. I'd like to see another adaptation that focuses on the elements you mention. That this war has gone on forever and really emphasizing how tragic it see Achilles captured by a single passion. It's time to drink and have sex why won't he let the battle end . . .

Spot on about the saber fights in Star Wars and Jedi, though another thing people seem to forget about Luke is that he is forging his own path here, both Obi-Wan and Yoda believe Vader unredeemable and council Luke to kill Vader, good thing he listens to the Force and not some ghosts.

Good point!

Yeah, I do agree there is some messaging in Episode III which was the best of the prequels. I think among other things Lucas had just lost his fondness for eastern philosophy and thus the ability to weave an interesting tale about the force.

(the let go Padme advice that Yoda gives is very Buddhist but the audience leaves that scene thinking that Yoda screwed by recommending such bitter medicine)