Many. But not the average player. Again this are not the times of when BG I and II came out when videogames were so much a stuff for nerds that a sit com like The big bang theory built its own succes on this fact, neither is this a tabletop game with its limited audience.

Creators that aim to sell to wide platform of players and exploit the more diffuse use of consoles, computers, and tablets can not focus on niches of players.

Furthermore a studio can not and will not simply ignore the motor and vision that brought them to fame, Larian rose from the indy playthrough area to the big game producers exactly because of the DOS, to pretend that they develop games that are not filtered by that is naive (and a bit arrogant, just like it would be if I asked that in the full release there were no difficulty levels and the game to stack with this level of difficulty).

And as I said and will say again and again do you seriously like cognitive stimulation (even if I somehow find it a bit contradictory to accept magic, spells that allow communication with corpses, living corpses, demons, spells that allow communication with animals, immortal and eternal beings, reincarnation, but then decide that a limitless inventory, a fast travel system, are something impossible to accept) you can try to find a justification that add up with the dnd dogma and rule, or just like a player did put a set of rules and respect them.

Said player decided to do a run with no more than two characters, no long rests, and stick to them.

That's a serious take on willpower and use of the freedom the game give to players.

Set yourself a limit to the inventory and stick to it, to me that will really make you a player that thrives for cognitive stimulation. For instance there are various bags that can be picked up during the scouting of the map and those are limited in slots and can be use as an instrument for "credibility".

Obviously I'm not talking about the barrels weight problem that is more an error made by programmers.

[Furthermore: if limited slots must be then I want that the dimentions of a due item is considered, when I put things in my backpack when I prepare for work if I put inside my laptop the space that remains for other stuff is less, so if I put in it the change of shoes for the gym the space further reduce, that is if a slot system has to be used it has to be like the one in Diablo where an armor occupied six slots, a ring one, a spear for and so on.. .. ]