Originally Posted by Bufotenina
Many. But not the average player. Again this are not the times of when BG I and II came out when videogames were so much a stuff for nerds that a sit com like The big bang theory built its own succes on this fact, neither is this a tabletop game with its limited audience.

Creators that aim to sell to wide platform of players and exploit the more diffuse use of consoles, computers, and tablets can not focus on niches of players.

Furthermore a studio can not and will not simply ignore the motor and vision that brought them to fame, Larian rose from the indy playthrough area to the big game producers exactly because of the DOS, to pretend that they develop games that are not filtered by that is naive (and a bit arrogant, just like it would be if I asked that in the full release there were no difficulty levels and the game to stack with this level of difficulty).

And as I said and will say again and again do you seriously like cognitive stimulation (even if I somehow find it a bit contradictory to accept magic, spells that allow communication with corpses, living corpses, demons, spells that allow communication with animals, immortal and eternal beings, reincarnation, but then decide that a limitless inventory, a fast travel system, are something impossible to accept) you can try to find a justification that add up with the dnd dogma and rule, or just like a player did put a set of rules and respect them.

Said player decided to do a run with no more than two characters, no long rests, and stick to them.

That's a serious take on willpower and use of the freedom the game give to players.

Set yourself a limit to the inventory and stick to it, to me that will really make you a player that thrives for cognitive stimulation. For instance there are various bags that can be picked up during the scouting of the map and those are limited in slots and can be use as an instrument for "credibility".

Obviously I'm not talking about the barrels weight problem that is more an error made by programmers.

[Furthermore: if limited slots must be then I want that the dimentions of a due item is considered, when I put things in my backpack when I prepare for work if I put inside my laptop the space that remains for other stuff is less, so if I put in it the change of shoes for the gym the space further reduce, that is if a slot system has to be used it has to be like the one in Diablo where an armor occupied six slots, a ring one, a spear for and so on.. .. ]

It sounds like you’re saying difficult games don’t sell, which is objectively false. Difficult games are good, and unique games are even better. Larian is at liberty to make this game identical to DOS2, but it doesn’t make sense to call it Baldur’s Gate 3 if it does, and only shows a lazy lack of effort by the development team.

BG3 is going to be a PC game first and foremost, but I’m still not sure exactly what your point is about consoles and “niches of players.”

A good studio will and must venture away from the familiar if it intends to continue to make sales. People get bored of playing the same gaming mechanics repeatedly through different titles, and that was a huge complaint in the revival of the Tomb Raider series. I personally don’t even like the mechanics of DOS2, and am still very much more impressed by the diluted systems we have in BG3, even if they are currently very closely related. The team is doing well, but I want them to do better. That’s why they opened Early Access, and that’s also why I opened this thread. It’s fine if you don’t have any tips for improvements to logistics, but don’t attempt to silence players who do.

Cognitive stimulation in video games is not compromised by the presence of magic when rules are implemented, understood and followed. Fearun may be magical but it’s not anything-goes, and to imply it is only signifies how new you are to the rules of D&D, which isn’t your fault, but the implication that a game must accommodate whatever game-breaking conveniences the player desires because magic is childish and ridiculous. The Resident Evil remakes have been wildly popular and they have limited space for inventory. Their fans enjoy the challenge. The question now becomes, “who is the intended audience for Baldur’s Gate 3?”

Check out my thread on inventory, sizes, and proportions.