A lot of people don't like good design and will always advocate for immediate convenience above anything. Even when that convenience will turn out to be absolutely disruptive for any internal coherence, immersion, difficulty balance and what else.

I've recently got into Conan Exiles for some reason after basically owning it in my Steam library for more than two years and imagine my surprise when I realized that, aside for some glaring flaws, it turned out to be one of the best single-player exploration-focused open world games I've played since the first two Gothic games.
And that was PRECISELY because it doesn't serve the player with all these "small conveniences" that sound sweet at first but kill any sense of being part of a fictional world.
You don't have a shitty minimap constantly telling you about the surrounding, you don't have an omniscient GPS constantly point the next quest, NPC or resource, you don't even have ANY FORM of fast travel until way late into the end game when you can "craft" a building specifically for that purpose.

You know what? It made going around that world AMAZING. Tense, dangerous, at times cumbersome and inconvenient. But amazing. Because deciding if climbing up or down from a perilous cliff had stakes, because the choice between trying to fight a tough enemy or avoid it mattered, because entering a dungeon or facing a boss required to come prepared, because wondering in the middle of the desert asked to the player to have a supply of food and water or starve badly at the worst possible moment. Because going in for an expedition exploring some place far away from your base (and respawn point) required commitment and preparation.

And yet pick any random videogame forum and ask a bunch of casual players what they think of "convenience above design" and you'll get the sort of people who think getting the ability to warp between bonfires from the get go in Dark Souls 2 and sequels was an "improvement" (even if it killed a lot of what made obtaining the Lordvessel so special), that every open world game should have quest markers and GPS, That if you don't allow them to conveniently teleport in and out of anywhere at any time you are not "respecting their time" and similar bullshit.

Well, ranting aside, here's the TL;DR: fuck being able to carry dozens of barrels and exploit every single fight in the game "because it's fun :D". Nah, it's not.

Last edited by Tuco; 10/02/21 11:44 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN