Originally Posted by Seraphael
Originally Posted by DragonSnooz
This is interesting because I feel higher ground is gimmicky and backstab can be alleviated with simple changes.

Why on earth would having higher ground advantage feel unrealistic to you I wonder? It is a staple mechanism from real life historic battles to Star Wars where having high ground leads to surrender or death lol.
It feels gimmicky because you have to do it every encounter because of Threatened. It's the in-game state, not the real world state. And I wouldn't want Star Wars interpretation of high ground in BG3 either xD

My Thoughts on IRL High Ground (It'd probably be good to share your thoughts in this thread too).

At least I back up my feeling with reason. Higher ground bonus is realistic because it is an attack that comes from above, forcing the defender to split their attention between navigating the ground and avoiding the lethal threat above. A secondary reason is that it work both ways.

I've used reason several times to back up my statements. You're free to disagree with it.
You are not constantly reminded that the AI is too dumb, in fact, the AI seeks height advantage almost to a fault. The only reason for it being remotely gimmicky is by proxy of the AI not taking melee advantage, which oftentimes causes the AI to abandon near-melee situations to scamper to higher ground far away.

That's part of the reason it's gimmicky, "Threatened + High Ground Adv/Dis" is part of a total package of gimmicky play.

As said, the current flanking/backstab mechanic clearly reveals turn-based combat as poor approximation of real combat the way the enemy lets you walk behind them in open combat without reacting. HIGHLY UNREALISTIC! Damaging for immersion (and a sense of fairness) for anyone with any measurable critical sense. The enemy and player should automatically pivot facing enemy flanking attempts even when it's not their turn, provided they are not caught flat-footed and surprised. "Backstab" should require actual realistic movement, like two enemies threatening a single foe and one moving behind (or the aforementioned surprise/ambush).

Allow me to reiterate, is not that you gain a bonus for flanking I feel gimmicky, it's the cheap way you get it.
I agree with you on this, However backstab can be alleviated by having the enemy turn to face the player as the character is moved in combat. And there are other solutions to how cheap backstab is.

Higher ground isn't nearly as essential for wizards as you make it out (not being threatened is). Wizards have so many more and better options than utilizing cantrips/spells that can leverage height advantage. This becomes, as mentioned previously, more true as you level. By 5th level you can cast Fireball (arguably nerfed by Larians lowering AC/increasing health to combat RNG) and Hypnotic Pattern that can win combat before it gets really dangerous.
Wizard is super fun to play in tabletop and I want it to be just as fun in Baldur's Gate 3. We haven't even had the chance to use Fireball in BG3. I'm tired of having my options limited to Magic Missile and Shatter in various situations.

Seems to me you universalize your own private playing style/experience when you keep on about Wizards being uniquely locked into a repeating pattern or out of options. To the contrary, the Wizard is arguably the most versatile, mobile, and powerful class in the game, and again - this becomes more true as the Wizard gains level and moves beyond attack cantrips. Near unparalleled mobility can be gained through spells and the Wizard's action economy makes using bonus actions a better deal than for many other classes that has more use of their bonus actions. Level 1 Longstrider gives a decent boost to mobility and lasts all day. Jump is brokenly overpowered, a level 1 spell that basically gives you a free level 2 Misty Step teleport every turn for a minute. Misty Step is a spell many considered a must in its own right.

It's a blend of what I've experienced in Baldur's Gate 3 and what I expect players without experience in tabletop may experience. My statements are a reflection of the meta-game in BG3, not tabletop 5e. The wizard is the most versatile in tabletop, but with how frequent scrolls are a fighter can be just as versatile. With unlimited rest why use a cantrip when you can Rest-> Magic Missile -> Rest ?

Yeah sure occasionally misty step is used, and I'm tired of jumping. I shouldn't have to sacrifice how efficient the wizard is in combat to use other spells. And I don't think other players should either.

Do you enjoy wizard in the current meta-game? Do you think it could be more fun? Have an open-mind here.