Originally Posted by etonbears
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by etonbears
The "traditional" party movement scheme doesn't cater for multiple parties - if you have not individually selected a "partial" party, then any movement command gets applied to the whole party in whatever it's current formation is. So this is no good either.

I can't see why it's more complicated with a traditionnal scheme. You still have to select/create a partial party with the chain and formations doesn't exist at all.

Group / Ungroup / Locked characters per players / Group formations... This is easy, fluent and friendly user in many games that don't use the chain mechanic.
(the end of this sentence is obvious... DoS 1/2 are the only games on earth from the beginning of the video game history using this system... a system which at best players are "ok" with).

I can't see any advantages related to the chain here. But I'll be glad to understand. Maybe you could help me with an exemple ?

By "traditional" I meant the Infinity Engine games. As far as I can remember, there was a single party+formation mechanic; you could select (via various mouse actions) a sub-set of the party for individual orders, but you could not create multiple party+formation groups for longer-term control.

The creation of multiple parties is the only real function of the chain mechanism. In DOS there was a formation feature for a party group, but it acted as a "shape" for the group to adopt, with the currently selected character in the front; which leads to the group reorganising if you select a different character.

That's different to IE games where the group formation is set by the arrangement of the portraits, regardless of which character is selected. You could consider a chained group of characters as equivalent to the IE portrait group, allowing multiple party groups.

I think they need to merge the 2 approaches ( including mouse-selecting characters to give temporary orders ) so that they get the advantages of both. Also, not auto-moving into formation unless a group order has been given.

Unfortunately, I don't think they will go for the IE style fixed formation, because mainstream games use the follow-the-leader mechanism.

Do you like RTS games ?
I mean like Company Of Heroes, Total War and games like that ?

These games uses the same control scheme than the IE games for years.

In those games if you want to create a subgroup, you just select your units (click and drag, click + ctrl on the units or on the portrait, click + shift on portrait,...) and then you click ctrl+F1. When it's done you can select your subgroup by clicking F1. You can usually change this shortcut of course if you need F1 for something else.

This is one possible easy solution.

The chain is just a way for you to select one character while the others just follow. You can't select multiple characters in Larian's games...
Just allow us to select 2 characters at the same time and this chain becomes useless.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 20/02/21 10:04 AM.