Originally Posted by Umbra
Fixed camps are always going to be immersion breaking if there's considerable distance to cover on a map.
DA:O was particulary bad - I mean it's ridiculus to think that the party is walking halfway across a kingdom to do a quest, then walking all the way back again to the same camp to sleep! They're spending more time travelling than there are hours in the day!
That said, the map isn't so huge in BG3. Except for the underdark, we could have a temporary camp there rather than climb a mile long ladder twice each day!

Regarding camping, whats wrong with the Baldurs gate 2 way of doing it?
Go to an Inn and pay.
No camping in cities, and certain areas.
Camp limit in dungeons, after the second time monsters auto span, no rest.(SCS mod).
Unlimited camp in the wild but monsters/animals of a chance to wake you and attack, no rest.

The problem in the last decade of gaming everyone wants <convenience>. People want everything and NOW. Unlimited inventory, auto travel, rest anytime, no time cycles, all classes for everyone, auto this auto that.
This makes it hard to make an interesting RPG, because to be somewhat <realistic> <strategic> and <interesting> you need to add RESTRICTIONS *(in my opinion...! others will say AUTO give me everything is more fun...which I don't get.).

In DOS2, the more you play the less fun in gets. Ironically the first chapters, when you are RESTRICTED to fewer abilities and items is the more fun part of the game.
Afterwards, too much of everything. Items, abilities...it becomes a bloated numbers mess. It becomes mundane and boring.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 27/02/21 07:17 AM.