Originally Posted by spectralhunter
I suppose it depends upon the origin character’s dream sequence. You should be able to tell their preferences canonically that way.

Gameplay wise they are all bisexual. I don’t like it because I think it waters down their personalities. I’d rather they be hard coded in some manner. But it seems a lot of players want to be able to romance anyone.

And I still don’t understand why people assume Asterion is gay. He’s somewhat effeminate but that’s not a sign of his sexual orientation.

Honestly, it's because there's a man in his backstory and that's it. Other male characters have relationships with women, so audience simply has no choice who to "make gay". Gale slept with goddess, Wyll dated cambion. Shadow also confirms some man comes into her dreams. At the same time, Astarion sees a man in a dream, and Lae sees a woman. But we know that Astarion's dream is not romantic, and there is nothing in common with other dreams.

I am as inclined as you are to believe that there is nothing like this in Astarion. And in fact, he has statements that rather show his interest in women. Ppl just prefer not to notice it.
I would say that Astarion and Lae are more like bisexual characters than anyone else, because they really don't really care who they sleep with. The rest of the characters are more straight. Even if game positions them as "bisexual" their backstories may show their tendencies...

Originally Posted by JoB
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
But it seems a lot of players want to be able to romance anyone.

I'm not sure that's true. I suspect that if you actually polled players, you'd find most of them would prefer the companions were, as you put it, hard coded.

I don't agree with you.

For example, Gale and Astarion are popular as romance characters, Wyll is not so popular. So, make Astarion or Gale gay, and you'll see the crowd come out with torches, figuratively speaking. The same thing will happen if you close Gale or Astarion for LGBT, the hype will be incredible. In a bad way ofc. I've already seen this on Mass Effect forum. Believe me. Anyway I believe that all characters can be traced to their true tastes. But give possibility of romance to everyone, and at least no one will complain.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty