Originally Posted by Zenith
And like the other martial classes, flame dip, oil of sharpness, wyvern's potion to add another ~15-21 damage to your attacks, and dual wielding classes attack twice to boot to trigger the effects of burn dipping and poison coating. Plus surprise attacks from stealth provide a guaranteed crit.

Surprise from Stealth doesn't give critical hits. That's a mechanic only the Assassin Rogue Subclass gets (currently not in game).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The problem with casters is their hit rates on their spells are worse no matter what, and most importantly the consumables and weapon coating effects that break melee don't affect caster spells at all.

In fact, I'd say what really drives this huge gap is consumables.

Agree that consumables definitely benefit weapon users more. Although I'm not sure if the overall picture for spell casting is as bleak as your statement. Especially if we try to look beyond the EA level cap.

Casters also have "implementation changes" that benefit them:
1. Unlimited resting - means they can always unload their best spells, every fight
2. No bonus action spell casting restrictions - this is a HUGE buff compared to table top

With 5E RAW, it's normally not possible to cast 2 leveled spells using your bonus action + action (i.e. Misty Step and then Thunderwave in the same turn). This restriction has been removed in BG3 and it'll have HUGE implications once the sorcerer is implemented (hello Quicken Spell) and casters get higher level spells.

Overall, martials (especially Paladins and Fighters) will likely continue to be the master of all-in single target damage. That is mostly true in 5E table top, and nothing in BG3 currently indicate that will be different (maybe if they really mess up Smite). Casters tend to be superb battle field controllers and the best source of AOE damage source.

In regards to caster accuracy - they definitely suffer relative to a weapon user (who gets consumables and advantage) - since only a few spells (usually weaker ones) uses the spell-attack mechanic. However, there is a stealth buff to caster accuracy that BG3 lets you take advantage of - we get perfect information in this game. Unlike Table Top, where monster stats are typically hidden from you - in BG3, you have access to almost every stat it has - which means as a caster, you can pick-and-choose weakness to exploit - like a weak saving throws to target.

Even in table top, casters have always given up raw-single-target accuracy (since they don't get weapon enhancements or fighting styles) for more versatility in attack methods and AOE capabilities. Martials will always need to target a monsters AC to land a hit - whereas with the right spells, a caster can target any of the 6 saving throws, AC, HP (i.e. Sleep, Power-Words), or sometimes just straight up say f-u and hit you in a way that you cannot defend against (i.e. Force Cage, Maze, Magic Missile).

Consider the Cleric's Command spell. You'll usually see a 60-65% hit chance max (target against WIS saves, which is often pretty low for many enemies). However, if you cast it at level 2 and target 2 enemies with it - you now have a 84-88% of at least affecting 1 enemy.

This kind of AOE accuracy improvement will become more and more of a factor as we progress pass level 4 - especially once we get some of the deadliest AOE spells at level 5 (Fear, Hypnotic Pattern, Slow, Fireball). With those spells, you will be able to target up to 5-6 enemies with each cast, and potentially halving an enemy force with just 1 action.

In every solo cheese video you've seen, fire dipping, poison coating, invis pots, oil of sharpness, potion of speed, and wyvern or basic potion are used to completely trivialize encounters just as much as stealth cheese and pushing creatures off walls.

While I have issues with many of Larian's mechanics, the approaches used in an expert, meta-gamed solo run isn't a good indicator of how mechanics should be balanced for the general population. I absolutely love what Sin Tee does, but we should keep in mind that the man has 519 hours in BG3 and is basically meta-gaming every encounter in the game down to the tee.

His videos tend to makes most games' mechanics look ridiculous. Consumable abuse is much easier when you know exactly where to find everything, when and how to stock up (i.e. rest and buy X 50 times before you progress Quest X). He knows what to expect and when a consumable needs to be used - i.e. pop an invisibility potion prior to the Bulette encounter (because otherwise you might get surprised), and has much of the game reduced down to a science.

Now onto this approach. Any system is always going to have 1 approach that simply does the most damage to a single target. In some games, it's spell casting. In PF:KM, it's a combination of massive sneak attack dies and tons of attacks. In DOS2, it's necromancy. In the current BG3 EA, it's currently two-weapon fighting with tons of damage "riders" (i.e. poison, fire dip, etc). Him choosing to overload on melee damage doesn't make it the be-all-end-all approach to this game. It's simply a tool chosen because it works with his specific strategy and circumstance.

In solo-mode, action economy becomes completely skewed towards the enemy (i.e. at best, the yours-to-enemy action ratio is 1:1. At worst, it can be 5:1 or more). Because of this, abusing the surprise round mechanic is almost a must, since it can double you efficiency up front (and isn't controlled by RNG). Speed-to-kill almost becomes one of the most viable strategy in most encounters because you simply lack the HP and resources to survive any form of retaliation and long term battle. However, just because maximum damage is potentially the only approach for solo play, doesn't mean it is for party play.

This skewing of the action economy severely affects the types of spells and tactics that are effective for solo characters.

To demonstrate, let's say the Command: Halt spell is now 100% accurate (no save, target simply loses their turn). Even with this change, Sin Tee will almost NEVER use that spell as a solo-er because of his scarcity of action economy. A 1-to-1 trade in action (1 action to cast spell. Enemy loses 1 action) means he basically burns a spell slot to delay everything by a turn even in the best circumstance.

However, for a party-based player, this 100% accurate CC spell will break tons of encounters. Can you imagine how much of a joke the Bulette fight would be if this spell existed? One character can simply keep it locked-down for 7 turns (total spell slots) while the 3 others slowly take their time to butcher it.

Lastly, even with Sin Tee, melee-poison-dipping alpha striking isn't the only approach. For example, in his Druid Playthrough - you see him rely on kiting with Moonbeam in the Red Cap encounter because the # of enemy actions and enemy damage is simply too much to overcome with alpha strike. Does this make Moonbeam and it's crazy damage efficiency (up to 40d10+ for a level 2 spell slot) is absolutely broken? No, it just makes it the best spell to use there given his circumstance.

Last edited by Topgoon; 18/03/21 02:57 AM.