Originally Posted by ash elemental
Apart from his romance (which I haven't tried, so no idea), how much impact do these options have on your interactions with Gale, though? Even when going with the rolls (and I don't bother with some, e.g. Arka) I never had any companions leave due to low approval. The (dis)approval messages are quite annoying and feel like spam, so I'd like an option to turn them off. But feeding Gale magical items was enough for him to be very approving of my characters regardless.

Tbh, I had the impression with some of Gale's dialogues that he is just buttering the main character up.

Mechanically, those options don't affect his approval of you much since there are many other occasions to earn his approval, even with the approval cheese fixed. But narratively, because he listed them, they must have left an impression on him.

Yes, there's every reason to believe he was buttering up the player character, but the point is that he did not say that he believed you were a good person because you tried to do the right thing. He only cared that you succeeded in doing those things, 3 out of the 4 of which were determined by dice rolls (pre-Patch 4).

This is the point I was making: results that are determined by dice rolls affect your companions' approval of you, but not your intentions.