Originally Posted by etonbears
Apparantly, the suspense of the die roll to see whether each actor is too incompetent to hit the target in front of them is terribly exciting for DnD players.

Nice mischaracterisation. Implying that rolling dice is all DnD players are thrilled about. Never tried to understand the system itself?

DnD is a system for table top gaming where players interact with one another through the actions of the characters they are role playing. When one character interacts with another, whether it's played by a player or by the DM, the resolution has to be resolved by the dice, or it will descend into chaos. If interactions at the table aren't resolved by the dice, you'll more often than not get the following:

John says, "My barbarian slaps Peter's character in the face with the back of his hand and knocks out two of his teeth."

And Peter says, "No, your character missed and tripped over his chair and knocks out three of his teeth. And while he's on the ground, I step on his head and knock him out."

John says, "No, my barbarian is nimble and won't trip over a chair. He grabs that chair and smashes it over your head."

And so on. Each player will refuse to accept that events will play out as the other player says it. This is where the dice come in.

Things don't happen just because you wish it. Just because your fighter raised his sword to strike down a goblin doesn't mean the goblin would just stand there like a block of wood and take that blow. He'll dodge it, parry it with his sword, block it with his shield, or angle his body such that the blow is glanced off his armour. Your character doesn't get to strike the goblin simply because you wished it. Characters react to their surroundings. They aren't target dummies.

DnD players are just mature enough to understand that there are a lot of uncertainties in battle. You will never know how the altercation will end from the moment you raised your sword. So the players let the dice determine the outcome.