Originally Posted by etonbears
Well then, if WotC were hoping BG3 would attract people to tabletop DnD, maybe they will succeed with you smile

Well, maybe, but I think I like the general principles on which the game is based more than the details and real-world practicalities of finding a group, meeting in-person and all that. And I've also come to realise that I'm more visual than auditory, as in, my eyes glaze over when Matt Mercer, or any DM I watch on youtube, describes the scenario. "A picture paints a thousand words" is definitely true for me.

Even though I don't play DnD any more, I also mostly use the available class features rather than exploits. Not because I particularly object to the exploits/cheese, but because I find the encounters are usually resolved quicker and cleaner ( less collateral damage ) if you play that way.

That doesn't mean I particularly like the DnD combat rules, as the 5e rules design is particularly poor for implementation as the sort of fluid game I prefer. But it is what it is, and as combat is the least important aspect of RPGs for me, I'll settle for whatever allows me to get through it with the least amount of time spent doing so.

Oh, I intend to do something similar. If Larian sticks to their gimmicks on release and offers no setting for DnD core rules, I'm going to download a mod that kills everything with a button so I won't have to deal with the cheesy combat here and just play the game for the story. I'll get my fix for tactical combat from Solasta.

I understand almost everyone that expresses frustration at the game, because there seem to be so many different expectations of what the game experience would actually be. BG3 is mostly only a "spiritual successor" to the original games, and is only "based on" the DnD 5e rules, which upsets some members both those communities. And while it is a a DOS-like co-op game, not everyone from that community necessarily likes FR & DnD rules.

Larian didn't actually promise any particular degree of interpretation accuracy for either the BG experience, or the 5e rules, but they did appeal to both communities in marketing the game. So I hope that between configurarion options provided by Larian and simple mods, everyone can have a game that they can enjoy playing.

It would probably be most helpful if forum feedback is focused on moving towards that sort of win-win situation, but it often seems like it is not.

Someone has already made the suggestion for game settings that determine which Larian cheese you wish to include in the game. It's not a perfect solution, as the map and combat areas are still designed based on Larian's homebrews. But the main impediment to any discussion, especially one for some kind of win-win situation, is the lack of any indication that Larian is listening. You can't bargain with the person sitting on the opposite side of the table if he has earphones plugged in and you can hear the music seeping out of his ear.