Originally Posted by Nyanko
There are some weird stuff about tags already as well concerning drow.

When you play a half drow, sometimes it works, like in the grove where Zorru mentions usually your race is not a welcomed one on the surface. But then later, in the village, the line from the goblin on the roof when he lets you pass because he assumes you are with Minthara doesn't show up.

Does it mean goblins are more accurate in discerning you are not exactly a drow than druids or tieflings? Or is it some unintended inconsistency?
That is a bit odd. Half drow tend to be looked down on by Drow for their human blood, and by everyone else for their drow heritage. So it would make sense for someone like Minthara to take note of the ditstinction, but for most other people, they see a half-drow, and they'd mentally think 'drow' first. Even for folks who would readily make the distinction, Half-drow tend not to have a particularly good rep as a group-the Crinti are pretty infamous in Southwestern Faerun.

Originally Posted by fallenj
*edit
After some digging and oh buddy there is a lot of lore to dig through with Lolith, Eilstraee, Darkelves, and Drow. So basically Drow are decendants of Dark Elves, supposedly look diffrent and there was a spell that was cast on Eilstraee followers. With this, yes the drow "dark elves" are going to look way different than the current drow we know (possibly having brown hair).

Niara and I touched on this, but the Darkelves/Drow thing is a touchy subject. The thing with Eilistraee and the spell and the drow turning back into brown-skinned dark elves originated in a series that's been effectively marginalized into obscurity by WotC...and IMO for good reason.

Originally Posted by Piff
Tasha's was great for its illustrations of wood elves, but not so much for its illustrations of drow, i'm not sure how WoTC managed to drop the ball so badly for one, but not the other.

But on that note, drow themselves have had their skin change colour from edition to edition, they have been black, grey, charcoal, eggplant purple (the less said about that the better imo), and were even depicted as brown at one point around the 2e years, but everyone likes to forget that happened because it was widely considered to have been an error of judgement on the part of the illustrators. Look up the original cover for the crystal shard novel and see Drizzt in all his bad-idea-brown glory.

I'm also not a fan of separating drow into racial factions like this, I wasn't a fan when they did it in neverwinter online, and that was an obvious and unashamed cash grab, and I'm not a fan of it now.
It's definitely a mixed bag, IMO. WoTC has definitely gotten a better leash on the artists this edition for more consistent art direction....but the art direction itself has been very mixed, IMO. I really like that the Sylvan elves and Gold Dwarves are now depicted more in-line with their discriptions....it was a bit awkward that you'd read descriptors like 'earthen', 'copper' etc as descriptions of skin color and the illustration more often than not showing a Caucasian-skinned elf or dwarf. On the other you have weird-as-hell decisions like making Moon elves blueberry skinned, and the skin-crawling choice to make drow pasty-grey/white. I'm not particular on the specific hue of Drow skin color-Greyscale/purple/obsidian-some variation seems fine to me. Brown was a poor choice though, for obvious reasons.