Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Originally Posted by Tuco
A perfect example of this already present in BG3 is when the priestess captures you and if you fail the TWO chances to free yourself the game "cheats" and sends you a new NPC (a dwarf woman) introducing herself as one of Raphael's lackeys and freeing you instead... This time remarking that "You will own him one" for the favor.
See? It's a failure, but it's one that opens a new narrative scenario instead of cutting you out interesting content. Hell, arguably it's MORE Interesting that just succeeding.
This was one of my favorite parts of BG3.
Failing checks and resolving myself to reload or enter an unavoidable combat, but instead I'm given cool new content. More of this please.

Yep, totally agree. Consideration of all possible narrative strands is a major attraction of RPGs for me. Sadly, most games "choices" are largely flavour, and frequently structure thamselves around rather banal combat ( whatever the system being used ) in a somewhat lame hierarchy of "bosses"; presumably because the videogame player base mostly like to hit things.

One of the reasons I have the BG3 EA is because I sensed from what was shown that Larian were getting a lot better at building a more complex narrative than with their DOS games. The more that can be achieved by "talking" and "doing" rather than "hitting", the better the game will be ( for me, anyway ).