For so many of us to have expected 5e, that says it all. They marketed so that it would appeal to 5e players who have been wanting an authentic D&D experience on PC. They certainly were not marketing it as a game similar to DOS or Xcom or Baldurs Dark Alliance or even Neverwinter or whatever. I remember specifically it was supposed to be as close to 5e as possible because that was one of the things that drew me in. I like BG1 and 2. I liked Dark Alliance. I had no problem with them because I knew what I was getting.

Again, love BG3. But I will probably gripe until they give me a 5e option for rules because that is what they communicated to me.

No. I take that back. I will gripe until they make a decision and tell me what direction they are going. If you aren't gonna have authentic 5e, then just tell me so. I'll be happy and shut up and enjoy the game for what it is. If you decide to give us 5e through a difficulty setting or something, great. Tell me and I'll accept it and shut up. But until you tell me what way you're going, I'm gonna keep voicing my desire for a true, genuine 5e experience.