Originally Posted by ash elemental
No, I am talking about consistency. I've used the red dragon as an example, but I could as well quote the "laws of magic" instead of real world physics. I could not make a dwarven wizard in BG1 or BG2, but now I can. So at some point the fundamentals of how magic works got reworked. The popularization of magic across the races is something I would expect to have a large impact on the various civilizations, yet I don't see that. BG city looks the same in all games, kind of like pseudohistorical Europe. Compare that to e. g. Arcanum, where you play in a setting that undergoes an industrial evolution. You can see how technology, despite being not as powerful as magic, is slowly taking over and the impact it has.

Faerun is a fake place built over years by one guy from his own campaign. WotC uses it as its default D&D setting and as such has to make it generic with many fantasy tropes. It’s going to be broken and lots of inconsistencies. Heck they pretty much tossed out the last 100 years because 4e bombed and they had to recon everything. The game dictates how the setting works which creates these problems. Look at the utter brokenness of the Warcraft story.

Faerun and D&D is not War and Peace. It’s not going to analyze every detail about the world. That’s for each table to decide. To expect highly realistic portrayal of the world and it’s evolution is somewhat similar to expecting Star Wars to explain the technology in that universe.

If it seems reasonable in the setting based on the boundaries of the world, then it works. That’s the extent of consistency you will get in D&D.

Last edited by spectralhunter; 26/04/21 02:35 PM.