Originally Posted by Wormerine
That's pretty much what Larian wanted to avoid by making reactions automatic. I am waiting for Solasta 1.0 release, but I assume their reaction window is pretty utilitarian. I am sure that all is needed is figuring out presentation. XCOM1&2 managed to do some fancy stuff with overwatch. I am sure, if they wanted to, Larian could spend a fraction of their budget to make a reaction selection screen that would feel satisfying, rather then gutting the whole system. Some kind of suspension in time (ala XCOM overwatch) could do a trick, while the player could choose or skip and attack. Recent Chimera Squad had breach mechanic, which sort of worked like that.
XCOM doesn't have a reaction system. Overwatch is more of a prepared action. Wich Solasta manages exactly the same way. Only difference is XCOM adds a slowmo effect and shows every attack individualy, wich slows down the fight.

After playing a paladin in Solasta I get why popups become annoying. Having the ability to togle individual reactions, or add aditional conditions would help. In some games there are systems to configure companion AI (Dragon Age series, Pillars of Eternity 2, Neverwinter Nights 2). A similar system could be used to define whether reactions happens on popup, automatic or not at all. It would take longer to setup, but will save a lot of nerves, and time through the playthrough.