Originally Posted by grysqrl
Originally Posted by Eugerome
Originally Posted by VenusP
I see it as an important aspect because in current state it makes you just choose the most affordable target without evaluating both visually and intuitively its strengths and weaknesses. It’s a big simplification of everything that dnd is about.
I guess we can agree to disagree.

True, but when you play dnd you don't see your actual target. You imagine what they look like (unless your DM splurges on minis). And the way you imagine them is based on how the DM describes. So if the dm describes the Bulette as having "large metal-like plates" I can infer that it has a high AC.

But looking at a model in a video game I will have to rely on my intuition.

Which I don't think is a fair comparison.
This is why having a mechanic to rely on your character's intuition makes sense. Assume that they see more than the player does and let them roll some appropriate skill check to see what they can figure out about an enemy. It could involve studying a potential enemy before a fight. It could involve noticing things in the middle of a fight. It could involve studying the bodies of the enemies after a fight. A player doesn't need to be handed any of this information at all, certainly not up front for free; you can figure it out through trial and error. But tying useful information to skills that don't have a lot of other use in a video game makes attribute and proficiency choices much more important in shaping your character, which I like.

I guess I just don't see the appeal of this.

Basically we end up with the same percentage to hit, just after X skill checks.

I can understand researching Legendary creatures or the like, but doing the same for a random goblin archer or fighter - that is just tedious in my mind.

Originally Posted by grysqrl
A player doesn't need to be handed any of this information at all

Sure, we don't need to be shown HP pools either, but would you advocate for removing those too? To be fair, that could be much easier remedied with an intuitive "traffic signal" system.