Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
If you expect to feel "powerfull enough to crush your enemies or turn them into a pile of goo" at level 1 ...
You probably didnt play many RPG before. O_o

Where, or how would you like to continue if starting power level would be set like this?

It's called scaling and I was likely playing cRPGs before you were born. I'm not talking about being a god, walking in to the goblin camp and wiping the floor with the lot of them, I'm talking about this game adhering far too close to D&D rules than is good for a cRPG to be doing. Those rules might work well in a pen and paper setting but they do not work on a PC. I'm talking about my character being able to hit the target more often than not. I'm talking about being able to build my character how I want to build it. If I want to build a tank I should be able to take points out of dexterity and sink them into strength and constitution. I can't. I'm talking about getting attribute points to spend each level, not once a blue moon. I'm talking about this game having everything that made every cRPG to be released in the last 20 years, great. This game has none of it. In my opinion, if it's released with it's current inability to hit, it will be an abject failure. Oh it'll sell well because the access media will lap it up and gloss over the issues like they always do, but steam hours sunk into this game will be non-existent, steam reviews will pan it. Why? Because no one wants to play a game where you miss most of your time.

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Encounters are all designed to be challenging and if you don't use Larian's cheese (and don't know much about D&D), the game can be a pain from the beginning to the end.

It adheres to D&D rules at the expense of playability. Those rules might be great in a pen and paper setting, they're lousy for a video game. Larian need to strike a balance between D&D rules and playability for a casual, non-D&D audience. Those of us who are used to RPGs were battles are fun and flowing. Let me give you an example. A fight against the Drow boss. My party has bless, Gale has full, 100% health. The boss hits him with a spell doing 100% damage and putting him out of the fight. It's not like I can get him up because the AI targets the character with the least HP and puts them back down before they can take a health potion or be healed. How will that be fun to your average gamer?

Another example is sleep spells put Gale to sleep 100% of the time. It never misses. It does with other characters but never fails to put him to sleep. What use is a Wizard who can be put out of the fight in a single hit? It's about my party having bless and hitting a Goblin for 5 damage, then the same Goblin hitting me for 15. With only 28 health that's more than 50% damage in a single hit, and that's the beginning of the round. How is that in any way fun for your average gamer who's never played D&D?

Originally Posted by GM4Him
It's not just because you're low level. The game is not as balanced as it should be.

But, that said, D&D is not about going around hacking and slashing everything as if it is easy to do. It is about strategy and tactics. It is about growing and increasing power over time so you can face bigger and more powerful monsters.

Exactly my point, the game is not close to being balanced. I know it's Early Access but the balance really shouldn't be so wildly unbalanced. Even with strategy and tactics its unbalanced. I can get behind a character and still only have a 50% chance of hitting it. What? I'm fighting Goblins etc., not Jedi masters.

When it comes to spell casting it's also the fact that it's the number of times you can use the limited in the number of spells you have available doubles the penalties for missing. I get one shot with a lvl 2 spell and if I miss, that's my spell casters power diminished. If I had larger pool of spells or more spell slots or if the game used a mana analogue that could be replenished with potions, like every other RPG in the history of RPGs in video gaming, if the AI didn't hit you so often so hard, harder than you do with a critical, then missing would not be so big a problem. As it stands now, if you miss, it's a problem. A big one.

Last edited by Chief_Jericho; 10/05/21 12:02 PM.