Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
And honestly, I always felt the Origin characters were more problem than they are worth. I get having them as companions, but I still think it makes more sense to not play one as an origin. You end up feeling serious FOMO when presented with the choice of an Origin character with all this extra backstory or your own character that is walking their own path.

I still maintain that Origin characters are a waste of resources that take away from a lot of other things in the game. What should have really been done is emphasizing backgrounds for a custom main character like what DA:O did, instead of a misguided attempt to add replay value by locking dialogue options and cutscenes behind making one of the companions your designated main character. There's talk about a dream scene that's exclusive to Astarion origin. I feel like such a thing would be FAR better utilized as something you'd get to see as part of romancing Astarion.

At the same time, the writers could tighten up the companion writing, instead of being forced to make them open ended enough to have them all become plausible 'main character' material. A very subtle thing I've noticed is that your character is not allowed to actually disagree with what the companions suggest by explaining why you believe certain things are a bad idea, all you can do in most situations is either drop the subject or forcefully deny them. I've been comparing BG3 dialogue options to Pathfinder WotR options lately. The options where you disagree with others in the latter tend to be framed more as coming from an alignment/background standpoint instead of a pure contest of influence/power, and some disagreements actually do result in the companions taking what you've said to heart or arguing back, instead of a simple 'character disapproves' message. Stuff like this has an extremely subtle effect at making your character feel like your own character rather than a bystander in the world.

(Honestly, rolling skill checks against your party members at the frequency that BG3 makes you do it is kind of a ridiculous concept too. If the companion has high enough approval or you did a great favor for them, you shouldn't have to roll. You don't have to roll against your party members in most other cRPGs because them opening up to you inherently shouldn't be left up to random chance.)

I am fine with them having Unique dialogue options for if they enter a conversation, adds some depth where you can reckon that Laezel should be the face and decider of what happens when encountering Zorru or Wyll might be able to say something to Kagha, etc etc. But making them preset fully playable characters with their own sequences and dreams and such honestly is a bit much, and I'd genuinely think those resources would be better spent on non origin companions. Its something that makes sense for DOS but doesn't really work out for BG3 in my eyes.