+1 for the food requirement for resting.

This resource management will add tension and choice-making to the game, especially if Larian adds encounters where you could give your food to NPCs in exchange for [benefit]. The QoL aspects (having a single "camping supplies" item, as well as the "auto select" button) will make this process less tedious. Food is prevalent in BG3, so it's unlikely you'll reach a soft-lock scenario where have to beat an incredibly-difficult encounter but also can't fully long rest. At the very least, I imagine merchants will have ~unlimited Camping Supplies to purchase.

Problem
This change is meant to discourage long-rest spamming. However, it's unclear (unless I missed something?) if Larian has changed companion cutscenes, which currently ~require some level of long rest spamming. Hopefully, this update to camping means that Larian is working on un-tying long rests from companion dialogues.

Originally Posted by grysqrl
My preference would be to not have a million different kinds of food - if I suddenly have to worry about the difference between what happens if we eat a roasted pig vs a chicken vs a pile of cabbage, then the resource management part of this is going to get really onerous. I'd rather keep it simple - either you have enough food or you don't.
It looks like each food item just represents a different number of Camping Supplies, so you can mix and match food items freely to reach the target of 40 total supplies. Different foods don't have different effects.