Originally Posted by Gideon Stargrave
Why would you be able to pick up and throw around heavy barrels?
It makes more sense this way.
That is the question isnt it?
I would say it makes the same, or at least simmilar amount of sence as throwing Chainmail you are curently wearing at your enemy in middle of the fight. laugh
I would say it makes the same, or at least simmilar amount of sence as throwing Warhammer you are curently holding at your enemy in middle of the fight. laugh
I would say it makes the same, or at least simmilar amount of sence as throwing a Goblin, wich probably should not cooperate, at your enemy in middle of the fight. laugh
I would say it makes the same, or at least simmilar amount of sence as throwing Necrotic damage spreading corpse of your Friend at your enemy in middle of the fight. laugh
I would say it makes the same, or at least simmilar amount of sence as carrying more than our own weight in gold ...

Yet ... we are able to do all of it, but for some reason none of it bother people around here as much as the fact that we can "put barrel in our inventory". laugh

Originally Posted by Dabedidabe
Damn, some people really like their explosions, huh? I'll try to explain too.
Yup.

The problem with barrelmancy is, as many other say, that it's an optimal strategy.
And this is the funny part ...
Why is that a problem? smile

I say live and let live ...
Here is your option: you want it, you use it ... you dont want it, you dont use it ... everyone happy.
Why is that impossible? Why you people seem to be unable to enjoy your game, as you like it, as you want it, as you demand it to be ... just bcs alterntive "exists"? O_o

Just by playing the game normally you can find out about how strong this stuff is
Oh i do play the game "normally" ...
I have 411hours played ... since start i finished Early acess more than 20 now ...

And i tryed it all ...
I tryed eating food during the combat instead of drinking potions, i find every combat trivial and unenjoyabe ... i stopped ... my game experience improved.
I tryed to spam Long rest after every combat, i find it tedious and anoying ... i stopped ... my game experience improved.
I tryed to hide after every attack, i find it simply stupid (and also i was forgoting often laugh ) ... i stopped ... again, it was better.
I tryed to walk around enemies to get backstab advantage ... same story as with hiding.
I tryed to kill enemies by throwing them to another enemies ... that was fun, for a while ... but eventualy i stoped again. smile
I tryed to kill every single NPC i met before even talking to it ... that was interesting experience ... some hard moments was there, if you dont have resuplying vendors that are still offering another, and another healing potions, but you have to do with what you get ... and you have no party with you ... i admit that i never managed to kill Githyanki patrol like this. :P

And yes, lately i tryed even killing enemies with using Barells ... i must admit i suck in this too, since even if i collected all barells in Tutorial, i (as i mentioned earlyer) never managed to kill all 3 cambions with that explosion allone. frown But it helped me shorten that battle by conciderable amount, wich i personaly see as certain plus ... since killing them all "properly" in level 1 takes too much time for my taste. :-/

So i know the stuff can be strong, i have seen the videos where people were blowing away the dragon, the whole goblin camp (that one looked fun, like huge blazing domino of death), or other encounters.
But the funny thing here is, that its fun only for limmited amount of explosions ... speaking for my own experience, sooner or later, you start to feel like combat is not fulfilling, that the fact his character is gaining power, progressing to new levels and gets better and better items is void ... since all you need, and all you use is "firebolt" cantrip. laugh

And that is why i dont mind Barrels at all ... i have them prepared, whenever i want to have some blowing fun ... but i dont use them much, since i enjoy the combat as it is ... and honestly, if somene can enjoy this as Bomber-man 3D simulator ... i dont see any problem with it, maybe i even envy him a little bit, since that person can clearly enjoy his game more than i am able. smile

Now add to that the amount of explosive barrels available (which is also immersion breaking)
This is what i dont like about all those "immersion breaking" people are talking around here ... you just state it, and concider it a fact.
How? Why? ... What is so immersion beaking about the fact that flamable materials exists, and people are hoarding them? laugh

What "immersion" you have, so its breaking for you with the fact, that people are creating wine that is flamable?
(I wonder how they do it, tho since as far as i know, lowest amount of alcohol to make fluid flamable is 30% ... and that can certainly no longer being called a wine laugh )
What "immersion" you have, so its breaking for you with the fact, that people noticed that oil is flamable, and they started to gather it for that reason? laugh
What "immersion" you have, so its breaking for you with the fact, that people noticed how incredibly usefull black powder is, so they started to create as much as they could? O_o

I mean except the word "wine" wich could easily be replaced by "liquer" (even tho port wine have quite high amount of alcohol, yet its still a wine ... not sure if that is flamable tho) and sudently, all is fixed ...
That all is just natural course of things ... you can see exactly the same was happening in our world history. laugh

and you've got a situation where you as a player are not sure whether the game is balanced around this or not. If you don't know this for sure and your abilities don't matter for barrelmancy, and thus for encounters, it feels like your choices didn't matter.
I believe you can be pretty sure about this ...
Question: Can you overcome any encounter without blowing even a single Barrel?
Answers: Yes > therefore game is not ballanced around it. ... No > therefore game is ballanced around it.

That was not so hard, was it? wink
Yes, Barrels are covenient "easy button" prepared for you whenever you might need it, or simply want it ... and that is exactly what they are, nothing more, nothing less.

The amount of explosive barrels available also causes the problem of removing the novelty of the idea. Bringing along an explosive barrel to win an encounter can be really cool, but when that can just be done every battle, it's pretty boring. The amount of it feels like a DM constantly telling you to use his "fun" solution. A single oil barrel that you could use somewhere, is way more exciting than an oil barrel around every corner.
I agree ...
But it would be tedious and boring to drag the barell across whole map, just to use it somewhere else, than DM expected you to want it.

Therefore there is many of them, so you can use them anywhere, and any time you want ...
And if you dont? Well, then you simply dont. smile No harm made.

It's not a glitch, but a feature, which makes it hard to ignore.
This sentence made me feel exceptionaly good about myself, concidering how many hunderts of hours i managed to ignore it. laugh
I must be very ignorat indeed. ^_^

Larian has a tendency to put in so many exploitable mechanics that aren't glitches, so you start wondering if you're supposed to use them, especially if you're having a hard time in a fight. If it were an obvious glitch, like item-duping in other games for example, people would not nearly have as much a problem with it.
Well i agree ... i also believe that is main reason of their existence ...
They ARE there for you to use them ... then either you do, or you dont ... then you retrospecitvely concider what you did, and if you had fun doing it, and based on that result you either do it again, or you dont ... its all up to you. smile

I believe Larian did fantastic job here ...
They realized that this game will be accesible for wide amount of players, with wide amount of expectations, and even wide amount of definitions of fun ... then, they implemented as many options for those people as they were even able, so everyone can have his own. smile
Sadly ... then puritans came ... and start demanding that litteraly everything that is not in the book is scraped, destroyed, remowed, thrown away, and forgotten for eternity ... what we get in the end, if Larian will listen to them and only them, would be game that would be just perfect for the most hardcore DnD players ... quite good fot casual DnD players, or experienced RPG players ... and will totally suck for everyone else. :-/
I dont want this to be BG-3 fate. :-/

All in all, people (even those who hate it) actually do want to use barrelmancy
I know, im watching this attitude across all "homebrew" topics on this forum ...
And i never understanded it and im affraid i never will. :-/

My point for playing game is to have fun ... when that what i do is not giving the fun, i stop doing that so i can enjoy my game ... i dont care how "effective" it could be, i dont want to do it, therefore i dont do it ... and my game experience was great so far. :-/
Maybe they should try it sometimes.

but they want to feel clever for using it and it should be unique to a certain experience.
And nothing is stoping them, but themselves.
That is another funny part. smile

You find a difficult encounter: "Maybe you can stash some loot in order to have the barbarian bring that barrel from the town and then you'll get them!" is way more fun than: "This encounter is hard, I guess I'll take one of those 7 explosive barrels out of my inventory."
But those options are not exclusive to each other ...
When you are able to do both ... the one who wants to do first thing, can have his fun ... the one who wants to do the second thing, can have his fun ...
When you are able to do only first ... the second gets screwed. :-/

If it's too easy to do, it simply becomes a thing they won't allow themselves to use or it trivializes everything, rather than a cool option they could use once.
"they won't allow themselves to use" ... and that is suppose to be bad thing i get?
Bcs as i see it, they determined that to use this option would ruind their fun, and therefore they decided not to use it ... wich is completely fine, right and it dont harm anyone else, imho that is how its suppose to be. O_o

Someone mentioned it's not possible to carry a whole bunch of greatswords and stuff as a counter-argument for immersion breaking. Larian needs to fix their whole inventory system anyway. Choosing what stuff to bring and what to leave behind should be a part of any RPG. It doesn't have to be entirely realistic, but it should matter somewhat, so we're not just mindlessly clicking away. The weight of gold is something people dislike, cus we're used to credit cards and stuff I imagine.
We will never "choose" what stuff to bring and what to leave ...
We shall simply send the heavy stuff to camp, and sell it to talkative skelleton. laugh

"We" in this case, are hoarders ... we simply like to get everything we can, even if that mean that in level 4, when someone offers us "generous reward for risking our life" and then gives us 50g ... we are like: "thanks, dude ... my life is worth incerasing my funds by 0,1% -_-" laugh
Its ridiculous, its "immersion breaking" ... but it certainly dont mean, that Larian should offer ten thousand gold pieces as quest rewards. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown