Originally Posted by Try2Handing
I wouldn't go so far as to say "useless", but I believe I understand the sentiment. Back then (meaning in original BG games) you play a rogue because 1) lockpicking, 2) trap disarming, 3) pickpocketing, 4) stealth - good as a scouting and escape tool, 5) backstab damage, and 6) "use anything" (or use scrolls if game is modded) high-level ability.

Based on my experience playing Pathfinder:Kingmaker (~80h so far, Knife Master Rogue), now you play rogue because 1) sneak attack damage, and 2) more skill points, so you are good at more skills than other characters. It's not bad, but rogue definitely feels less distinctive. Other classes can also be a skill monkey if they have high INT. Bards can pick locks + disarm traps too. And disappointingly there's no pickpocketing in this game. Basically, most of the things a rogue can do can be done by other classes, it's just that a rogue is good at more things at the same time than most other classes. Now if the only thing you got going for rogues is "sneak attack deals plenty of damage", that's pretty weak tbh. Their high damage per hit is just a benefit they get in exchange for the drawbacks of being a rogue.

This was what I was getting at. Thanks for the eloquence. All the distinctives of the rogue seem to be missing.

Appreciate all the responses btw smile

Life's better with a Bard.