The only way I can see them implementing Reactions without having a popup is to allow definition of when particular Reactions happen.

Attacks of Opportunity -
Use only when target is not fleeing (Turned, Fear, ect)
Use only when % chance to-hit is >= %.

Counterspell -
Use only when target is casting #spell.
Use only when target is casting >= #Lvl-spell.
Use only when target is casting offensive spell.

Projected Ward -
Use only when target has <= %health.
Use only when target is #class.
Use only when target is attacked with #physical and to-hit is >= %.

Things like this is the only way they can get Reactions to work without a popup. It would make the players have to spend time to setup Reactions before each encounter or during their turn when they were not ready. And allow players to save loadouts for the various Reactions so they can come back to different criteria. Also, multiple criteria would need to be allowed to be setup at the same time.

Example:

Projected Ward -
Criteria #1:
Use only when target is #wizard.

Criteria #2:
Use only when target has <= 50% health.
Use only when target is #rogue.
Use only when target is #ranger.
Use only when target is #cleric.

Criteria #3:
Use only when target has <= 25% health.

All three of these criteria can be set to Projected Ward to allow it to automatically React with Projected Ward to any Wizard in the group, or a party member is <= 50% health and is a Rogue, Ranger, or Cleric, or any party member <= 25%.

These three criteria can be saved as a single profile "Protect Party". When setting up new Reactions, you can attempt to load this profile up into the Reaction being modified and it will apply any reactions that are allowed, so if this profile was loaded to Attack of Opportunity, it would load all them because these are valid targets/actions for it. Honestly, this is a bad example because most Reactions would allow this criteria, but you see what I am getting at.

But, this is the only way I can see this working without a popup for each time a Reaction could be taken.

Last edited by Zyllos; 28/07/21 02:51 PM.