Originally Posted by Niara
Throwing enemies was a big part of the broken element to the mechanic, so with the strength requirements for throwing tightened up, this is less abusable... Unfortunately, this means that you'll need 18 Str to throw halflings now, which I admit, I am a little sad about.

The issue that I currently have is that there are only three grades of throw - can't throw at all, can throw 'a few feet' just out of your melee attack range, and then 'can throw to the ends of the earth and as far as you can see'. Distance you can throw something should really be a function of its weight and your strength, ideally.
Thanks Niara, I was wondering if she just needed leveled up or not. Ya, Str+weight should be a factor on picking people and and throwing.

Super crazy that a 18 is required to pick up 40 pounds!!! a average halfling is three feet and weights 40 lbs. no joke, this is from the freebe pdf.

If this was real life me a 115lb guy that is 5'6.5'' must be super strong to pick up 40lbs at my job, like super duper strong.

Originally Posted by booboo
Yep, I think they must use strength to smoothly determine the range of a throw...and to be honest, even with 18 strength, you should not be able to throw anything really weighty (and a regular 70-80kg humanoid is not light...) very far at all. In all my years of PnP D&D, I have never encountered anyone throwing an enemy - unless you count grappling (throwing to the ground?) . Bull rush is sensible: you have momentum behind your dash. But picking up a heavy dead weight and flinging it 10m? Unless you're a giant, that just doesn't make sense.

It was pretty much a theme for my group, one of my halflings I don't remember which one struggled to climb a rope, I dangled around for 2 minutes before I fell. My toon had to hold on to people and had been carried multiple times through her adventures. Enemy wise, body shields was a thing. Throwing though, not sure been way to long.

Edit* Actually now that I'm looking at it, weight in general seems off, looked up chain shirt, and chain shirt in game is 9lbs while one from d&d 5e is 20lbs.

Last edited by fallenj; 29/07/21 02:19 AM.