Originally Posted by Thrythlind
Originally Posted by KeinSklave
Any type of reality is probably racist by nature.

The SUPER CRINGE "racial tensions" we have in our real world, are a complete joke compared to what is going on in Faerun.
A realm that has actual different Races and not just different ethnicitys.
Racism is part of this worlds REALITY.

Removing it is the same as breaking the entire universe.
So no - the racism must stay.
Going Woke never ends well.

I expect the threadopener to already know what I have written and just being so bored that he wrote his openingpost just for trolling purposes.

Couple of things here.

There are very real issues in real life that should not be dismissed, are part of a long history of building tragedy on tragedy and are heavily tangled into everyday things. It's a serious subject matter.

The existence of different species of beings does not automatically justify people hating each other over differences.

And there is a big difference between representing the existence of racism within the fiction of the universe and building the game and setting itself embedded with concepts that support the sort of thinking that racism has merit.

Certainly you can have a long history of elves and orcs hating each other, that's historically represented in our own existence. But you shouldn't present it as a natural thing that is inherent or can never be amended. The gods in this setting are individuals and characters, not vaguely distant forces that may or may not exist... and the gods are not infallible. Corellon and Gruumsh pushing their personal grudge onto their followers as an example. Again, real life has lots of examples of a feud between two people resulting into a bloody conflict between groups.

The setting can have racism, especially if you want to explore that story arc, but it by no means needs it.

Plus you have things like the Barbarian class.

Barbarian is not a statement describing a skill set, it is a cultural term and it is a term used for a foreign culture in a demeaning fashion... and it's modern use is overwhelming that mode insult. Add to that the art for "Barbarian" is a mix of First Nations and Viking stereotypes along with a mix of other low tech cultures.

You can certainly have people with the skill-set of the class from any culture, not just low-tech cultures, and yes, you can build such a character if you want, but the fact that all the art and characterization of the class is that is an example of things that encourage real world bad behavior.

Likewise, the treatment as goblins and orcs as always savage or cowardly or sneaky or whatever else is equally damaging. It's the "this is their natural state" part of depictions that is harmful. It can be the culture that has developed, but it shouldn't be represented as the only possible way they could exist.

No, you can't control what is done in a home game, but you shouldn't encourage or turn a blind eye to such things, because some asshole will take it as tacit approval for such behavior.

"It's what my character would do" "my alignment says I should kill orcs" etc....

It's minor in comparison to people literally getting killed unnecessarily, but it's still a problem... and it scares off possible newcomers to the hobby.

When you publish, you have to be careful over how you might encourage people to behave.
Well written and i consent with this.
It shows the meta-level of thinkin outside the box and understands and explains what my poorly words cannot.
For that purpose i added the link to the article so many more will understand what is important and how to understand.
This will go into a philosophical debating too...
the reality we have in our so called "real world" outside of game is not totally disconnected from our game and fantasy worlds we build for pleasure.
Even that is allways a a part of our real world. Just because we call it a game does not mean its outside of the darker aspects of humanity which needs to be purged to make a better world for everyone.
Im totally aware what a game is a game and in the same moment its part of our world.
Understanding what parts in a game can be harmfull makes a difference.

It does not mean that the whole game or the whole Ruleset of DnD must be rewritten.
In time it will just seen in a nother way, as Salvatore explains for his plans to write the next storys about Drow Races.
He wont rewrite that past books. He himself didnt understand himself when he was younger but grew to understand.
If we are all 20 years older we wwill see the world in another way. Maybe you will even remember this small part in the forum one day, and evaluate it anew.

Ahh i hate not beeing native english speaking... so hard to bring my thoughts on keyboard. wink

Last edited by TheHero; 03/08/21 08:50 PM.