Originally Posted by Terminator2020
Well then I have addition to my brother (my brother is not poor) one "poor" friend (well poor compared to me) he owns no real estate no house, apartment or summer cottage while I am landlord though not saying I am rich like 1 million euro net value+, but still good economy I can give my poor friend in this rare case pay 50% of his cost to buy BG3 at full release example 30 euro out of 60 euro. Well and I very rarely give presents to my "poor" friend. Well not poor in that way that he does not have money for food and a budget gaming desktop computer.
Completely anecdotal and therefore not relevant.

Originally Posted by Veilburner
I think there are differences between AAA games and sales. Other than the Witcher 3 and maybe the newer FFVII role-playing games still don't sell as well as shooters like Call of Duty. I think the three Mass Effect games sold a little more than 10 million copies for all 3 games. So anything close to 5 million would be a success I imagine.
It is confirmed that DA:I has sold over 10 million, and ME3 very close behind. Also confirmed that DA:O has sold over 5 million. And of these games only DA:I comes close to being a AAA game.

Originally Posted by Tuco
For context DOS 2 sales were estimated in the 100-200k range at best during EA and it ended up selling roughly a million in first month of release. And way more in the following ones.
Not accurate context at all. (A) With D:OS2 Larian was still an unknown quantity for many people, so it makes sense people would wait. Now this is no longer true. And (B) This being a D&D game makes it fundamentally different from D:OS2 in terms of people's responses. People already know D&D, and if you're a fan of D&D, and you've been dying for a D&D videogame for a long while, and you see "Baldur's Gate 3" in Steam or GOG, you're going to jump on it right away. If anything, it is all of the buyer's remorse that I am seeing in this forum and other forums that is most relevant here and interesting to me.

I think Larian would be lucky to get 5 million in sales. And this may be achievable PURELY because of the D&D and BG name recognition, which is to say not because the game is good or Larian's reputation but rather because a lot of gamers are desperate for a D&D/BG videogame no matter what. But for me, for a AAA game with a huge budget and close to a thousand people working on it, 5 million in sales would be rather paltry.