Originally Posted by sheffie01
The former implementation looked like the default Drow character from the character builder. More distinctive this way. When I first noticed the redesign, I immediately thought that the reason they did it was to make her feel more special, not some generic character. I can't think of another important character in the game that has this "generic-feeling" design at the moment (EDIT: Maybe Nettie?). I find it immensely far-fetched that this would be because of some kind of hidden agenda.

I agree that the lashes feel a bit unnatural, but honestly, I don't really mind either way, I think there are more important and impactful topics to focus on in the game (no offense to the fan club :-D).

I'm surprised to see the amount of passion this topic generates though... Not pointing fingers, but I think some could benefit from a bit of level-headedness smile.

Aside from the provocative thread title inviting unfortunate comparisons, I think this particular subject elicits a passionate response, because it's one of those rare occasions where we get to weigh in on aesthetic preferences and visual taste for character design.

Something that it usually kind of overlooked, or which tends to only happens after the fact, since most games of this sort are more fully cooked, but this one is still in EA. It would be like if they took a survey of all the BG2 portraits a year after that game came out and then changed one randomly. At which point I would have told the Bioware Art team to "please stop using the Thomas Kinkade color palette" for every single Char Portrait! You know with all that gold and pink lighting lol.

I think they probably changed Minthara's hair because they thought it was too close to Novice Brynna's haircut, you know the other Absolute gal who the PCs run into probably right before they run into Minthara, and who had the exact same Absolute Haircut... just in auburn red instead of white.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

It would be like if Dror Ragzlin had that seem baldpatch haircut that Novice Andrik is sporting. Like they just follow on too quickly in the story, with the one coming right after the other. Though in that case I would have prefered they change Brynna instead of Minthara, since she's a less important NPC and didn't really have a fan club like MInthara did. Of course players are going to feel more strongly about the main villains of the first act. Its always more important that the villains look cool, since they tend to be more iconic and we remember them more.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 11/08/21 02:59 AM.