First off, let me say that I'm absolutely in love with the writing in the romance routes so far. I'm not ashamed to say that I'm part of the player demographic who was drawn in specifically by the idea of companion romance, and I'm very excited to see where future content takes us.

That said, I was a bit surprised that companion approval and companion romance are so heavily tied together. From my understanding- and correct me if I'm wrong, I'm working from observation here- the player's ability to romance an NPC depends on their ability to get the approval counter past a certain threshold. This makes sense from a purely pragmatic standpoint, but given how much freedom exists in the combat mechanics, it feels like a missed opportunity that the social mechanics aren't quite so advanced.

What I'm interested in seeing is a romance system a bit more divorced from approval. What happens when Tav and an NPC disagree fundamentally on the choices Tav has made, yet still feel an undeniable attraction to each other? What happens when approval dips down, but the romantic connection is still there? I feel like this could provide another layer of depth to these romance narratives, as well as increase replay value.

Of course, I could totally be looking a gift horse in the mouth here. What do others think? Did anybody else feel similarly?