In general I find the approval mechanics annoying in games. Especially in romances, if it requires you to micromanage approval on minute details instead of heavily favoring some big choices, as it sort of goads you into playing as a "choose the right dialog option" -type of sycophant to your significant other, just in case lower levels of approval lead to some sort of shitty breakup & betrayal. Which partially accounts for the fact that I find the side-romances that have very little relationship bargaining in them more interesting. Also, I guess maxing approval can be enjoyable, if you like toadying in a romance, which is fine, but as a mechanic underlaying all romances, it's usually kind of constricting and boring.

Also, the approval systems in games basically nearly always necessitates you to choose the so-called monogamous relationship, where you have to choose early on The One, that excludes all others. Romancing multiple characters nearly always plays out as cheating, thus basically ending the romance or turning it into a abusive relationship, or something that leads to a disapproval laden jealous confrontation where you're required to choose a single romantic interest. BG3 seems fairly committed to this facet of the approval system, since the companions come off as rather jealous demanding types and the party scene seems to railroad you towards monogamy: they basically all proposition to you at the same time(if your approval is high enough) and most of them seem to disapprove if you leave them hanging. So basically even if you "let" Lae boing you, who explicitly states that she isn't into romance or monogamy, you're committing to monogamous relationship with her, since choosing her seemingly excludes all other companions by disappointing them.

Though, it might be that the companions aren't really that possessive. Shadowheart approves if you set up, what seems to be, a future date with Lakrissa. Who seems like a refreshingly carefree person with a sense of humor, and who isn't that concerned with being 100% on the same page with you. I mean, she even (nicely) calls the PC a dummie, if he expresses silly beefcake optimism in regards to their survival chances.

Hopefully they won't end up killing her off before you get to the city, which would be reminiscent of DOS2 plotline and a "neat" way to limit the branching thiefling content in later acts.

The promise of being led to death is reason enough to follow.