Originally Posted by Black_Elk
In the compare contrasts, the most noticeable differences are in the lighting and how the different contours and color choices affect the overall impression.

There also seems to be a bit less saturation generally in any of the comparisons showing the new Minthara. Not sure if that is from the monitor or just slight differences in how the cinematics are cueing off the environment/environmental lighting, the fact that she's in a slightly different spot, or something they changed in the overall lighting?

But the facial expressions and modelling seems largely unchanged. The wrinkles for example, seem to come from just more of the model being exposed. Or the lightness of the face/neck, often seems to be because more of the contours are now set against the the environment rather than the white hair, which creates different lines. The brow and neck appear lighter because there are fewer cast shadows there.

Having more reflective and light colors on the brow and in the eyesockets also creates like visual jitter, that just makes it look less fully rendered. All I see is the artifacts, and its too busy. Get's in the way by calling too much attention to itself.

The shoulders and the rest of the dressed character below the neck, pop more, because they use warmer colors that also seem less saturated overall. It's like the midrange values on the whole figure were punched up and the overall contrast reduced as a result. We see more of what's there, but it reads flatter, which is what happens when you blow out the midrange.

The issue with how the face reads in the cheeks and ears is just that there is less there breaking it up, so it appears more plastic and video game, than gritty cinematic. Grain can come in also sorts of ways. I think those things are not facial expression but they contribute to the overall impression which plays off the face.

In painting they tell you to use a black mirror, not just because it sounds cool, but because it knocks away extraneous detail, allows one to see a simpler read on the whole impression. Something like that would help with Minthara. Like they're already noodling away at the details around the eyes, when they still need to block in the main figure and choose a value range.

Everything changes when you change the colors of the clothing. We don't experience any of it in isolation, it all keys of everything else. So I think they should go back to basics. Start with the figure, put her in black first. Then see how the rest reads. Maybe that alone would be enough to fix what's bugging me about the newer iteration?

Black Armor and Black eyeliner!

That's the battle cry for the next draft hehe. Hopefully anyway, cause I think she could look really cool that way, and the armor set would ice it for sure.
[/quote]

I do think black armor is a good choice for her; especially with a color scheme similar to the drow studded leather armor that is already in the game; I think their patch 5 theme of a brighter aesthetic of a red armor, silver makeup, light Drow skin and white hair is unappealing in all lighting conditions; I think basically all Drow skin tones look better in dark purples, blues and browns.
In regard to eyeshadow the pre patch 5 Minthara seems to have used just a little black eyeliner; but I think black eyeshadow could also lessen the intensity of her facial expressions; though peradventure not as much as garish silver would.

Zellin managed to color the silver around Minthara's eyes to black with photoshop it does look somewhat better but still not as natural as the pre patch 5 Minthara.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Here in pre patch 5 her frown is very evident; that anger on her face is expressed extremely well.
[Linked Image from images4.imagebam.com]
[Linked Image from images4.imagebam.com]