Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Cute ...
But its still just matter of your point of view. :-/

That paladin calls player Wise, bcs he realized that "not all Kobolds are Evil" ...
But then that Kobold joined raid on near town ... therefore he is Evil.
But then you find out that his clan was Starwing ... therefore he is their Hero.
But then you find out that they killed people ...
But then you find out that if he would knock them out, they would seek revenge and endangered his family ...
But then you find out ... i dunno, something else, for example that they lived there in peace, until people came and declared Kobold land for their own. laugh

And the story can go on and on ...

You're comparing the kobold from earlier to the kobolds attacking the town. Same tribe of course but we don't know anything else about the kobold I mentioned. Kobolds also aren't doing it for fun. they're specifically after items. Just like humans would be if they attacked a town. Holy crusades anyone? Everyone has their reasons. And the kobolds make no excuses.

We must also keep in mind the dragon is ordering the kobolds to do so. Who would probably eat the kobolds if they don't do what they're told.

Then we talk to the dragon. And we don't have to fight. Things get worked out. And no one has to die. I don't see how that's evil. Selfish perhaps. But if you don't value yourself then the world will walk over you. The dragon also mentions a paladin he froze who lectured him. Which is why that other paladin got frozen. To me that paladin is an intruder. That barged into the dragons home. And made threats (probably) to that dragon. And was demanding. Resulting in his fate. Most likely because this paladin was more close minded. The paladin I mentioned earlier was more open minded. That's the difference.

Instead of making it about good/evil (which is a losing game) I make it about being understanding. Being judgemental is what often creates violence. Even in BG1 we have the order of the fist (I think it was called) going around tossing their weight. And even in candlekeep you end up getting captured (and I think you was going to be executed) by your own town. I've seen demons more loyal then that. And yes, dopplegangers. But believe others and mistrust me and that only goes to show how little you trust me.

This is more about fear then anything. And control and the lack of it. Along with observation and employing incentive. Someone that can't control their temper (let's say chaotic evil) is more of a threat/danger then someone that can control their actions. Because "Better the devil you know". It's hard to get through to someone that doesn't even think about what they do and makes excuses for it. More so when they're hypocrites.

The same however can be said for judgemental "good" people. That do nothing but judge and never try to understand. As they pretend to be nice/in the right yet don't even claim accountability/responsibility for anything they do. The paladin I mentioned earlier showed that she was considering another viewpoint. Open minded=good. Closed minded=bad. The former leads to understanding and working things out. The later just keep violence and conflict going. Regardless of situation or circumstance. This is why when a player character in a game like this will always have companions considering your viewpoint. Even if they struggle with it at first.

And I have to say, the bloodthristy dwarf from BG2 was an interesting character too. Even when I was good alligned. Even shares a little moment before the last boss. Reminded me of Gimli and Legolas from LOTR. He won't hesitate to axe someone if he's in a bad mood (he's bloodhtristy as hell). But to me, the good alligned player who never judges him, he was pleasent enough. Despite the differences. I actually found that young elf from the circus to be worse. She's a little fragile. Cowards always suffer. Which kind of circles back to fear. But you get those that can face the truth and those that can't. There's a reason honesty is so valued. And without that there's no trust. Which is why I quite like Jaheira. Even if you're on her bad side you can still work things out.

Now take all of that into account (even BG2 alone) and compare it to what we have in BG3.

So even though the kobolds did attack the town, provided you pass those persuasion checks, they'll always be honest. And if you help them out of a tight spot they won't make you a target. It's that simple. Look past the monsters instead of making targets. And that makes coexistence possible.

Last edited by Taramafor; 13/08/21 10:46 PM.