Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by Archaven
Originally Posted by teclis23
So when BG3 hit early access the media announced that Larian sold 1 plus million copies instantly. Currently there is no data for current sales almost 1 year after EA release.

I have been checking the steam charts on a regular basis and i can confirm BG3 was in the top 10 for a very long period of time after EA and then in the top 20 for a very long very period of time and has only just recently dropped out of the top 20.

I think it would be safe to assume Larian has sold probably 2 million copies plus already. Easily. Possibly more.

So when full release finally happens i think a conservative estimate of sales then would probably be another 5 million plus copies.

This is an incredible achievement and accomplishment from Larian. They have achieved this due to there built up fan base from DOS2 and then tapping into the D&D IP.

Moving forward what does this mean for the future of D&D and CRPGS? This is uncharted territory and potentially game changing.

Please provide you thoughts on this i really want to hear what you guys have to say.

I would say larian probably can get away with a very huge sales dues to nostalgia of the franchise. But what Larian didn't realize is that they put a sour taste in my mouth for what they are trying to do with the franchise. I'm getting the feeling of playing DOS2 enhance rather than really Baldur's Gate 3. The game that gave me more feels toward being the successor of Baldur's Gate is Pathfinder Kingmaker. I have no idea what Larian is doing wrong here. I just couldn't describe it. Maybe the color pallette? Maybe the music? Maybe the similarities of the game engine assets which were originally from DOS2 and being reworked as being the Forgotten Realms?

Here's a few words that may explain your feelings :

- Origin characters / companions, whith their bad consequences on the story telling
- Start on a beach
- Control with the terrible chain
- Party size of 4
- No D/N cycle, bright colors because it's always 14 o'clock
- Characters use of any abilities (click, spell/feature visually begin, character is turning following your mouse, you click the target, the spell/feature continue)
- Cartooney animation (I.e when you cast sleep on gale)
- Visual effects that does not look serious (jump,...)
- Surfaces, surface items, barrels everywhere "because it's fun"
- openned combat arena
- no random encounter
- a difficulty level build arround the concept of "nuke them first or you'll be nuked"
- lots of similarities between classes (don't really exist in DoS, differences toned down a lot in BG3 >< DnD)
- Theme park map
- Hotbar
- Useless minimap
- Main character less involved in the story / integrated in the world than companions

"Origin characters / companions, whith their bad consequences on the story telling"

i don't think this contributed on how i feel baldur's gate 3 being less baldur's gatey than said DOSier.
i do agree with you that i feel origin characters seems out of place. it would mean that ANY of the origin characters can be the hero (or even if it does not, it means
your role in the story basically just insignificant). I like owlcat approach in making companions.. being companions.

"Start on a beach"
while DOS2 start on a beach. I think it's not the issue. perhaps it's the color pallette and art direction? it has striking similarity on how it looks being a DOS2 game
than i felt being in the Forgotten Realms. i think it has to do with the heavy re-use of the DOS2 assets such atextures / objects (chairs, tables, terrains, etc.)

"Control with the terrible chain"
i concur this basically reassure me it's being more similar to DOS2 gameplay and pushing my feelings of playing a DOS game.

"Party size of 4"
earlier baldur's gate game had 6 party characters. while i heavily in favor for 6 party characters, i think this may not be the reason why i don't felt it being
a baldur's gate game.

"No D/N cycle, bright colors because it's always 14 o'clock"
i recalled someone actually explained before that this design decision were due to multiplayer if not mistaken. again i don't think this is a valid reason
that made me feel that larian lost its touch in making this a baldur's gate experience for me. i would say music also plays a signifcant role in setting up the
mood and feels for reviving the nostalgic feels of the old baldur's gate game.

i'm definitely 100% in favor for a D/N cycle but don't think this is the reason making me lost touch of this game.

basically i think larian really failed me in this regards. but it doesnt matter for them as they already got my money and they will be successful for getting
many more sales due to the pulling of the hype for the baldur's gate fans, DOS and perhaps the D&D audience in general.

larian may see themselves successful and even proven to WoTC. But my opinion is that WoTC should have chosen Owlcat (which i think they are more capable
than Larian in treating this franchise with respect). I have to give the credits to Larian though. Their engine for verticality and visuals are indeed
impressive.

If Owlcat has access to new technologies and the engine with enough resources like Larian, i believe Owlcat can be the next big devs.

At the moment i don't have much hope with Larian. I'll just keep an eye. I don't foresee Larian is going to change much or any further. They will just
probably push on for more of the same till the game gets released.